What would you do if your teenager took a swing at you?

You know what? I'm getting awfully sick and tired of all the PC bs and the "children's rights" movement they hear in school all the time. Kids these days, not only mine, begin acting as though they're above your rules because there's nothing you can do about it, and they're so SO very spoiled. They think they're being abused if you take their cell phones away.

And since I've heard that corporal punishment is just so awful and abusive - tell me. What if your kid takes a swing at you? What if they actually land that punch? How would you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Lots and lots of accusations going on regarding 'discipling them and it won't happen" don't kid yourself. You can be the best parent in the world and still have kids that go sideways. You cannot control all the people they come in contact with. It is humanly impossible w/o locking them in the basement. To those of you who are so sure what you would do if it happens but haven't yet raised teens..good luck.
    Anonymous

• I would call 911
    Anonymous

• I have 17 YO stepson, and while he has not taken a swing at DH (he knows better DH is a big strapping strong man, lol) he HAS called him an a**hole several times and has told him to shut up several times and has also told DH to "be a man" and that he doesn't do sh*t for him.... his mother encourages SS treating DH that way. Makes me sick to my stomach. My children won't get away with that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would suggest that they better sleep at their grandparents house, becuase once my Dh found out, they would be lucky to walk away.
    Anonymous

• I am going to get blasted and told that CPS should take my child...

HOWEVER if my teen took a swing at me....it would be the one and only time she/he did. I would put a butt kickin on them like they have never seen the likes of. If it was a child younger than a teen, life as they know it would cease ...no tv, no games, no cell, nothing but a room with four walls...

And for the record tho I am not anti spanking....I never used it with my two.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Call the police, my son pushed me really hard one time because he did not want to go to school. I called truancy, a big I mean BIG officer came here and told him that he could go to jail for hitting me and that I could hit him when I see fit. Hmmmm
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My 1st thought to this question: I'd kick thier ass. No lie.I would knock them into next week.Then I would hand them the phone and say here ya go...call 696 KIDS,call 9-1-1 do whatever but you even raise an EYEBROW to me again, you won't see tomorrow.
    My 2nd thought to this question: I'd kick thier ass.
    Maybe they've got issues.I'd still kick thier ass.
    Let me tell you...when my son was 7(2 years ago) I spanked him for something,don't even remember what exactly for now...but he pulled back his fist on me...that was the last time he did that.He did this because at the time he still had it in his head that hitting me was kinda okay due to the violent past we lived with his father. I realize my little boy will grow to be a big teenager and i've put that fear into him now...he will not be hitting or swinging on me.If he wants to say well you spank me...I have every right, I am raising a child, I am his mother.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would have a heart attack because it is so completely out of character for my teenager. And this; "kids these days, not only mine, begin acting as though they're above your rules because there's nothing you can do about it, and they're so SO very spoiled." is only true if the parent has allowed it to get to that level. Teaching them how to act when they are little, rather than trying to bully them into doing what you say, means this will not be an issue except for a very small percentage of teens who have emotional/social problems that require professional  help. All people loose their temper & might yell or be unpleasant at times, but well raised (& mentally healthy) children don't get violent.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If my son ever took a swing at me in his teen years I'd knck his ass out.
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 4:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't have sons and I can't imagine my daughters ever really taking a swing at me (they are babies right now) but if they did, oh - their world would be OVER. They know now - don't hit, don't backtalk (we're working on backtalk but they really are good kids). If I did have a son (I may one day) and he tried to hit me, my husband would get into it. I don't condone hitting at all and I don't spank after a certain age (like 6).
    Anonymous