How old was your child when they could speak sentences?

We just had a 4th of July party with all of our family members there and apparently my sister-n-law had a conversation with my sister that she thinks my son might need speech therapy. He will be 3 at the end of September and does not speak in sentences yet. He tries to have a conversation but I can only make out some words but most of it he just babbles on. He can repeat any word you say to him and he can count to 10. He just doesn't really form any sentences yet. If you ask him a questions he will respond with "yes" and then a bunch of jibberish. Should I be concerned? I was going to wait for his 3yr check up in Sept to mention it to his doctor.

paytonpants54

Asked by paytonpants54 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• about 2-2 1/2. But that was short sentences, and over time they grew.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• She's 25 months and speaking sentences.. I guess she's been doing it for a month or so now..
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My oldest was 18 months (very early)
    My second was 24 months but has a moderate articulation delay for which he receives therapy.
    My third didn't say his first word until 23 months after a month of therapy and his therapist is still working on sentences (he's now 32 months). He has a severe speech delay.

If that much of what he says is jibberish, based on what you're written I'd call your local CPSE, voice your concerns and have him evaluated.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• all kids develop differently; my daughter was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months, and sill in diapers at 4.

It certainly won't hurt to get him evaluated; if there is an issue, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Broken sentances at about 18 mos (ie: Sister Lexi for "my sister Lexi")
    Full, understandable sentences at 2 years (ie: That's my sister Lexi)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Okay, yea then about 18 months too for her.. two words sentences she would say and ask for things with please then answer her own question with "okay!". LOL
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Mine was about 26 months when she moved beyond 2 and 3 word phrases to full sentences with a noun and verb.
    By 30 months, kids should be using 4 to 5 word sentences and you should understand 75% of what they say. That's YOU, not a stranger.
    By 36 months (your son's age), he should be using longer sentences, having full conversations, and you should understand 90% of what he says and strangers should understand 75%.

I agree - have him evaluated. He may just be taking his time. But if there is a problem, he needs early help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my son is 30 months, and doesnt say even one word. we are having him evaluated. but please remember, each child learns different than others.
    Anonymous

• you have me worried now
    daughter almost two and sometimes says a word or two even said
    god bless you once
    and what you doing
    but usually it is jibberish sometimes for hours
    is this normal
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• EVERY child is different. My first son started talking at 12 months and it was full sentences (I want to go outside. Can I have a cup please?, I love you Mommy., etc). My second son could only say mama and dada on his second birthday. By 2.5, he had exceeded his older sister's vocabulary (she is 3 years older). My almost 4 year old still says "When we be done eating, I have a cookie?" or "Ki have a mana?" ... mana=banana LOL or "I did ___ two twices." Fill in the blank yourself. twices=times I think it is so cute, I don't even correct that one. LOL I wouldn't be worried yet, if I were you. Yes, early intervention is good, but too early doesn't give them the time to do it themselves.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2009