When is a good time to break this habit??

My husband has been laid off & we have been staying with a relative. Another words our daughter, who is now fixing to be a year old in less then a month is still sleeping in our room, and our bed. At 4 months she was sleeping through the night, when she was sleepy you could tell her goodnight and that you loved her and lay her down & she was out. BUT since my grandma has had her 4 us to run to Wal*Mart or something, since then she has 2 be rocked 2 sleep (SHE DONE IT), & she has been waking up & will not go back to sleep until she is in the bed with us? WHAT DO YOU DO TO STOP THIS, and when should we start trying to break her from this, & when? Oh and if you put her in her bed to sooth herself, she stands & screams for 30+ min. until she can't breath anymore, and I don't have the heart to hear it... What do I do? She is just too old for this. & putting her to bed with a bottle is out of the question, she will be off it soon...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess bc I'm a grandmother I see no problem with rocking her and making her feel loved and secure enough to fall asleep. If she falls asleep with you then make sure she's sound asleep and put her in her bed. It may take a few times but she'll adjust and sleep in her bed for you

Answer by admckenzie at 3:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• good luck honey!!! I am home visiting my parents for 2months (military family) and my 11 month old is in the crib next to my bed. And of course when he cries and stands up I now immediately tend to him so my dad, who wakes at 5 am for work isn't disturbed. He has on ocassion not gone back to sleep either and I had to lay with him, something we never did in our home. Hoping my transition back to our house next month isn't too rough on him. But I would take it step by step....first step not putting her in your bed. Try to get her off of one habit at at time. Not let gramma care for her around nap and bed time to decrease the rocking to sleep habit. I'm grateful my parents listened to me on how it was with my baby to not ruin what we worked hard to accomplish. Good luck
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009