BREAST FEEDING QUESTION

CAN YOU BUILD UP YOUR MILK SUPPLY JUST BY PUMPING? hOW LONG SHOULD YOU LET YOUR CHILD STAY LATCHED ON IF THEY AREN'T CONITUNASLY SUCKING?

msaltmomof2

Asked by msaltmomof2 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you pump more it will build ur milk supply up more.... but there is a vitamin called alfelfa that helps and mothers milk tea that helps too if pumping more doesnt work
    Anonymous

• The more the breast are stimulated the more milk will be produced. I personally do not care for the pumps but they serve their purpose. If you don't mind or have something else to do letting baby suckle will only help produce milk and baby feels comfort and thats why they stay there. I nursed my son for 2 years and he went straight to a sippy cup and completely ipast the pacifier and bottles. There were times that I felt trapped but it was a beautiful bond that we had, My daughter is 2 mo old and i stop breast feeding her due to my many health complications and now that i am well i still have the option of breast feeding her but I am 34 and enjoy being able to leave her with autie and grandma ...good luck!
    mika85302

Answer by mika85302 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Pumping in between feedings will increase supply; looking at pictures of your baby while you pump will help, too.
    You can also take brewers yeast tablets, have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby, eat oatmeal every day.

Freeze the milk that you pump so you can get a night out!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my daughter "takes breaks" while b/f but I let her latch back on until she really seems finished. I think your little one will let you know if they aren't finished yet and you try to stop feeding her/him.
    And yes, pumping will build up your milk supply.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• pumping can help with supply, but having baby at the breast really is the best way to increase and/or maintain supply :)
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009