How can I keep my 1 1/2 year old from climbing out of his crib?

jean2003

Asked by jean2003 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 11 months and starting to climb things.....not the crib yet. but when that starts, it is being converted to the toddler bed. i have friends who changed to toddler beds around a year and a half reguardless of climbing or not as well
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It's toddler bed time for your little one.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If he is climbing out or trying it's time for a crib tent, toddler bed or regular size bed. If you go with the crib tent make sure it is compatible with your crib. They do not work with all crib types.

Anonymous

• take the bombers out if u have any, lower the mattress and if it still doesn't work get him a toddler bed that have rails to the side..it work for my son when he was like 1 1/2..
    curls_tampa

Answer by curls_tampa at 3:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my son is 14 months old. when he started climbing is when I put the mattress at the lowest setting. He still tries on occasion but has a way to go before he can climb over. I dont think hes ready for a bed yet since he cant succesfully pull himself over, but the fact that he's trying makes me wonder! I guess I should start looking for big boy beds lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If you don't want to convert his crib to a toddler bed and you really want to keep him contained, get a crib tent. I think they're about $60 and they have been lifesavers for several families I've nannied for. Climbing out is not only dangerous because they could fall and get hurt, but toddlers can get into a ton of trouble very quietly all over the house in the middle of the night while everyone else is asleep. Just Google crib tent and look on a different baby store websites to see if it's something you'd want.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Have you placed the mattress to the lowest setting? Try that and leave the gates up all the way. If that does not work, it just may be time to go to the toddler bed. Then just put an appropriate gate up in the doorway so he will still be in his room should he wake up early. Just remember to keep the child monitor on so you can go check on him once you know he is up and moving around. Welcome to the next steps in their own little independence! Good luck!
    NoDramaMamma

Answer by NoDramaMamma at 3:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Time for a regular bed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009