Has anyone used a professional moving service when moving to a new place?

Was it a good experience?

do you remember how much it cost and how far the move was?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no, we have some friends that helped out
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• WHAT??? Share my pizza and beer with someone else? Are you nuts? lol Actually, I personally hate moving but when we have we did it ourselves. My Mom is giving us her cherrywood furniture and that is WAY to heavy. So I would actually have others help us. I would look on Craigslist in your area. That's what I would do. WITH CAUTION of course. Economic times are tough and I wouldn't mind helping someone help me. Some professional movers can be pricey. Good luck to you.
    NoDramaMamma

Answer by NoDramaMamma at 3:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I have 3 different times and all the times with different companies and they where all no more than 300.00 that I think was worth it because by the time i'm done packing everything I dont want to lift anything in and out of a truck and it was quicker u can always google moving services around ur area and they give u free quotes and all the best ones are the ones that dont charge for the hour because they will tell u it takes them 3 hrs and it usually ends up been more so u have to pay more.
    curls_tampa

Answer by curls_tampa at 3:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We didn't pay for it (military) but it was a pretty good experience. Only a few little things were broken. If you watch them closely I don't think you have too many problems. I would rather move myself next time though.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My sister and brother in-law use one when they moved to 3000 miles away and oh may They slept on there floor for 2 1/2 weeks cause he guys took there sweet ass time getting to them. So needless to say they moved all that way for FREE and they will never do it again. Not to mention a lot of there stuff was broken and stuff was missing.
    Anonymous

• there are some things that should be done by professionals; moving and brain surgery are two.

Make sure that you know the complete cost before you sign the contract. Make sure that the movers are licensed and insured for replacement cost.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We just moved a town over last year. We needed them to keep the stuff over night and deliver the next day, I think it cost us about $1500-$1800...and that was cheap for our area. After the move we had before this last one I swore we'd never do it ourselves again...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• A tip is to make sure you have everything ready before they get there. Most charge by the hour and if you're not prepared, you're just paying them to stand around. My buddy charges $55 hourly and sometimes he goes to houses and doesn't have to do anything because they're not ready. They still took up his time and he still gets paid.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• The military has moved us each time and only 2 of the moves were negative experiences - the others were positive.
    I have no clue what they cost, but I bet they were pretty expensive, especially going cross-country. I can't imagine how much it costs to transfer a family overseas and I hope to never find out.

Call local moving companies and ask for a quote. Some of the better ones may want to know about some of your furniture and belongings so they can determine man hours and estimate the weight. All moving companies will ask how many rooms you have and will ask what types of rooms. They will also ask if there is any outdoor furniture or equipment to be moved, too.

If you decide to go this route, be prepared to spend the time monitoring their packing and moving. Provide them with incentives (coffee & donuts when they get there; pizza & soda for lunch; water all day).

Best wishes to you!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2009