*spinoff of baby climbing out of crib question* similar question*

I didnt want to ask a question within that question because I'd like some feedback =)
ok so my son is 14 months old. Before he was one he tried climbing out of the crib so we lowered the mattress and that solved the problem. well he is still too short to fall out considering the lowest level of the mattress and top of the rail, but sometimes he still attempts lifting a leg to climb out. He doesn't stand a chance, but does this action make it a good reason to transfer him to bed? I mean, since he is trying to climb out?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What's he likely to do it he got out of bed? My son is 18mos and he's going to be in the crib until the very last second. He would never just lay down and stay there. It's going to be really bad once he figures out he can get out.
    mysue

Answer by mysue at 3:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't move him until it is a danger. Make sure there is nothing in the crib he can use for a step stool - no stuffed animals, no pillows, no bumper pads. When he tries to lift his leg, gently but firmly tell him NO.
    Remember, once he's loose in his room, he's exposed to much more dangers. He's free to climb the dresser, swing from the clothes in his closet, slam his fingers in the closet door, and if you don't confine him to his room somehow - he's free to explore the house without any supervision. You say you watch him all the time? Really? Even at 3am? While he may make noise to start with, he will quickly learn to be quiet so he can explore without you. Moving a too young child to a bed is just as large a danger as not moving one that can actually get onto the top railing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• yes I cant picture my son staying in bed till he falls asleep lol. I mean he falls asleep quick, but if he realized he wasnt surrounded by a rail like in the crib he'd most likely get out of bed and play, probably scream so we can open his bedroom door.... lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We put a chair next to the crib

Answer by rkoloms at 3:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Time to get a bed.

Waiting until they CAN and DO climb out of the crib might be too late....a broken leg or worse, too late.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Try using one of those crib tents. My 22 month old climbed out of his crib and broke his wrist. We immediately bought him a toddler bed and it was a really hard transition. I would imagine a 14 month old would be much more difficult.
    Sure wish I would have had one of the crib tents!
    gizmo13

Answer by gizmo13 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2009