It's cheaper to eat unhealthy than it is is healthy food!!

Seriously have you seen those prices???? I'm just going to eat a freaking .89 cent burrito from Taco Bell because a freaking salad costs fortune!!! What kid of world do we live in that this is normal! UGH!!! Do you agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She is right. The average poor person cannot afford to wait until a sale. I spent over 100 bucks just on fruit alone the other day, and it only lasted 3 days. I can buy preboxed prepackaged so much cheeper. I am managing a family of 5 on less than $1,600 a month and no foodstamps (my choice right now we may need them at some point). I have 2 kids in diapers, a mortgage (probably less than your rent), oh and I am pregnant.
    The cheeper food is the stuff that is worse for you.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't agree and here is why
    first of all stop going to fast food places, grow as much as you can yourself, hit the farmers markets, can and freeze....hit sales and eat less meat...the list goes on but I think you get my drift
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Unfortunately, you are right! I just suck it up & pay for the healthy food, I figure if I go the cheap route now, in he long run, I'll pay more in medical bills or, having to buy bigger clothes & reinforced furniture! LOL!

Anonymous

• I do agree greens cost a lot of money anywere you go, I grow my own veggis so I save money there but then my water bill goes up.

you pay 5 bucks for a salad and it don't even taste good
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We save tons of money eating healthy. We don't eat out other than for lunch after church on Sunday's. I spend 350-400 a month on groceries. We eat from scratch nutrition packed meals. Soda, cookies, crackers, store bought bread, chips and other junk are expensive. Processed boxed meals may be cheap but they lack any nutritional value and tend to leave people feeling hungry a couple hours later which leads to unhealthy snacking.
    Anonymous

• not everyone can just grow their food. I have 100% shade in my yard, love the trees....but there are too many & they're huge. Eating healthy IS expensive! When i'm broke i cannot even go near lots of foods i normally buy. Location is huge too, whenever i go to California, & am STOKED to have SO MANY healthy options & for much cheaper than the health food section at my grocery store here in Atlanta. California is where it's at if your a healthy eater!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with mamakirs. You can make a salad at home for not much more than a $1 per salad. Bean burritos at home don't cost very much and are much better for than those at fast foods.

I see where your frustrated though. It is a lot easier to swing by Taco Bell on a busy day than to create something at home. Try stocking up on quick healthy meals at home. You will save money and feel better.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• California is where it's at if your a healthy eater!

There are more options but groceries are much more in Cali than in many parts of the country. We paid about 800 a month for groceries in Cali and only pay 400 a month for the exact same stuff here in Kansas.
    Anonymous

• A Taco Bell Burrito probably has less fat and calories than a Taco Bell salad...

I love the 7-layer burrito

Answer by rkoloms at 3:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with OP. I try to buy healthy foods but once you add up all the ingredients it takes to make something you can buy prepackaged, it can get expensive. And i'm not even talking fast food. I mean going to the grocery store and buying the stuff. And we live in an apt so our own garden isn't exactly convenient.
    Anonymous