How do I keep the cat from scratching the furniture??

Just got her yesterday and need to know how to keep her from scratching the furniture so we don't have to keep kicking her outside.

SlapHappi

Asked by SlapHappi at 3:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pets

• i get my cats a super scratcher from walmart. cats naturally sharpen their claws they will always scratch at something. But in order to keep mine from scratching some where i didn't want i use a squirt bottle filled with regular water and keep it handy. It lets them know not to scratch there and doesn't hurt them then praise them when you see them scratching on the pad it works.
    mbaker331

Answer by mbaker331 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We used a spray bottle with water in it. If the cat tried to scratch she was sprayed and told no!, we used this to teach the cat to stay away from the bird cage. A scratching post is also helpful, move the cat from the furniture to the post when it starts to scratch.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 4:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Above answers are good. My aunt had hers declawed. I don't know if that's an option or not. If it stays inside 100% of the time, it's ok, but if it goes outside it won't have a way to defend itself without claws.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My cat started scratching on my door facings. So i went to petsmart and bought a pair of cat toe nail clippers. And since i trimmed her toe nails down, they are short and dull, now she has no desire to scratch. She still tries to scratch my area rug, but she can't damage it because her toe nails are dull. And she never tries to scratch on the door facings anymore.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 6:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Cats have to scratch.

Get a scratch post and praise the cat when it uses it.

If kitty scratches the furniture, spray her with a bit of water. (Worked on my cat!)

Sometimes, cats also scratch when they need something, like attention or outside time.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2009