Shortening Cervix / Steroid Shots

I had my first daughter at 23weeks on May 25, 2008. She weighed 1lb, 3.6oz and was 13 inches long. They expect an e-coli infection caused me to go into labor.

However, my cervix with my current pregnancy is measuring at 2.27cm, when last week it was measuring at 2.6... the week & before at 2.9... then 3.2...3.4, 3., 3.9 at 12 weeks, etc.

I got the steroid shots on Monday and Tuesday because the doctor also suspects me losing my mucous plug over the weekend.

What is everyones experience - how long after you got the 2 steroid shots or lost your mucous plug did you go into labor?

I'll be 28 weeks pregnant on Friday.

dkgroves

Asked by dkgroves at 3:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had steroid shot and lost my mucus plug 8 days ago and i am in the hospital until i am 35 weeks or until i deliver. i am 32 weeks and 4 days. from my understanding you can loose your mucus plug and your water not break because my water has not broke. i am in the hospital because i am dilated to a 3 and 75% effaced  and when i went into the L&D they said that my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and they gave me steroid shots and magnesium to stop the contractions and build my twin girls lungs up. now they just want to monitor them since twins a typically early. Good luck and hope you don't go into labor too early.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 3:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm not in the hospital or on bedrest at this point. My OB stated that if my cervix was still shortening next Friday, the 17th and I had not gone into labor yet that I'd most likely be placed on bedrest then. You'd think they'd try to be proactive given my history than reactive
    dkgroves

Answer by dkgroves at 4:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My cervix was only a 3.1 at 22 weeks, and I had my steriod shots then. My cervix got down to a 2.2, and has since went to a 2.6. MY dr said that at a 1, labor can start. Im almost 36 now, and I haven't had anymore trouble.Just try to stay off your feet, and take it easy (and no fooling around with ur SO :) ) I hope that all goes well and take it easy momma!
    SSwaney

Answer by SSwaney at 10:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I wish I could take it easy! Without being on bed rest I can't leave work. So, I guess we'll see where it's at on the 17th if lil man is still in my belly...
    dkgroves

Answer by dkgroves at 11:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm going through this right now. I'm dialiated to 4cm and i've lost my mucus plug. I have been at 4cm for over a week and half on bed rest and i'm not dialiating anymore since. Hopefully i can keep the babies in! My doctor seems hopefull as long as i'm on bedrest i can make it till Aug if not the middle of Aug. Let me know how it goes!
    Meremomandahalf

Answer by Meremomandahalf at 4:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well I hope everything works out for you! Keep us posted!

SSwaney

Answer by SSwaney at 10:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009