How to get a dog to stop eating my floor???

I have a 5 year old English Bulldog that just recently calmed down, started to play with toys and even started playing fetch. The problem is she is chewing on anything she can. We also have a 11 week old puppy. She has taught him to not have accidents in the crate. But is teaching him bad habits that she is just learning like eating my floor and a chunk out of the window sill (the puppy was to small to reach). Any help would be great. Thank You!

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 3:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pets

• There's a spray, I think it's called "Stay Away" you can get from pet stores. Apparently they hate the smell and taste of it so it keeps them away from whatever you spray it on. Worth a try.
    Anonymous

• ha ha what memories my daughter's two year old english mastiff has been living with us almost all the time since she was a puppy. she's now over 150 pounds at two years old. He ate our downstairs door and my living room table and my son's sofa and various clothes and toys along with gum and other things here and there.

i find it useful since she's in toddler so to speak now even though not a baby puppy any more to
    use a spray bottle from a stores that's never had chemicals in it for any thing at all of any kind. I set the spray to wide gentle spray and spray what ever part of her, hopefully a shoulder or face cheek, for him to learn the word no and action no too at the same time.

the word no alone doesn't work. Sometimes if i see her heading maybe to something naughty i just pick up the spray and she stops immediately which is the second step we want. the first step most perfect would be at the word no, stopping.

FUN!!
    Anonymous

• The spray bottle doesn't work with her, she just looks at you and snorts. She is very pig headed. But to start at 5 years old really surprized me. When you catch her and tell her no she does stop, but the second no one is in the kitchen she does it again.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 4:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• crate training for when you have to leave. Also when you get on to her and tell her no, give her 2 minutes in her kennel as a time out, and while she's there completely ignore her. It's her punishment. Then as soon as she comes out don't stay mad, but instead give her a chew toy and play with her for a little bit. Everytime you see her with a chew toy praise her like crazy and even give her a treat. She will begin to associate chewing floors with kennel and no you time, and her toys with preise, treats, and getting to play with you!
    Also if you can put up baby gates at the kitchen doors for a little bit to keep her out, and work with her on staying out of the kitchen. My dogs are only allowed in the kitchen if i invite them, otherwise it's a no-no area.
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 1:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You can get that spray stuff that is supposed o keep them from chewing. But I used that on my dog when she had to be bandaged, and she would still chew her bandage and then throw up! I think substituting the chew toy for whatever inappropriate chewing is going to be most effective. Bully breeds are very stubborn! Also limiting where she can go in the house and using outside or crate to help with the training. I just got a puppy also and it is frustrating!
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Try Tell out the Pet store tell them what going on.Tell them yours Dog are eating u your floors. They should have something that u can buy to stop yours dog from eating up yours floor
    Babygirl1966

Answer by Babygirl1966 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2009