Does this Catholic prayer encourage people to worship Mary? It is unbiblical?

“O Mother of Perpetual Help, thou art the dispenser of all the gifts which God grants to us miserable sinners; and for this end He has made thee so powerful, so rich, and so bountiful, in order that thou mayest help us in our misery. Thou art the advocate of the most wretched and abandoned sinners who have recourse to thee: come to my aid, for I recommend myself to thee. In thy hands I place my eternal salvation, and to thee I entrust my soul. Count me among thy most devoted servants; take me under thy protection, and it is enough for me. For, if thou protect me, I fear nothing; not from my sins, because thou wilt obtain for me the pardon of them; nor from the devils, because thou art more powerful than all hell together; nor even from Jesus, my judge, because by one prayer from thee He will be appeased.
cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• And that not one but two dead guys came and spoke to Jesus in front of witnesses at the Transfiguration. These two prophets were Moses and Elijah.

Who were in heaven! So Jesus showed us it's OK to talk to those in heaven.  Now if you think those who die go into some type of 'soul sleep' or something and only those who's God has taken bodily into heaven are alive - then we have a disagreement.  Not about praying to saints - but on what happens when one dies.   Which is a different discussion.

I take it you do not read your bible.

Really, no need to be insulting just because I don't think you're an infallible interpreter of scripture.  I read the bible all the time - I just don't agree with how you choose to interpret it.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• But one thing I fear: that in the hour of temptation I may through negligence fail to call on thee and thus perish miserably. Obtain for me, therefore, the pardon of my sins, love for Jesus, final perseverance, and the grace ever to have recourse to thee, O Mother of Perpetual Help.”
    Anonymous

• Simple answer: NO.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• There is a difference between worshipping & revering. Look at the wording, “O Mother of Perpetual Help, thou art the dispenser of all the gifts which God grants to us miserable sinners; and for this end He has made theeso powerful, so rich, and so bountiful, in order that thou mayest help us in our misery..." and so on. I don't think that should be interpreted as worshipping Mary. It is asking for an intermediary, which some Protestants find undesirable, but that is a personal preference.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Don't Catholics believe that Mary is the Co-Redeemer?
    Anonymous

• eye rolling

if you were so secure in your faith you would quit trying to put down the Catholic faith

Anonymous

• Besides what nysa pointed out there's more: "Thou art the advocate", which goes right along with how Catholics view this whole issue, we are asking Mary and other Saint's when we pray "to" them to pray for/with us as we would somebody here on Earth. "because thou wilt obtain for me the pardon of them", obtain for me, ask for me, get it for me...not that SHE will give it herself, we recognize that she does not have that power, that is only God's to give.
    Anonymous

• No, And if you remember When his mother interceded at the wedding. He did do her bidding, even though it wasn't his time. He held her in high esteem.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am confused. I am not putting down Catholics. I don't understand why they elevate Mary to the same level as Jesus. I agree with Nysa, I guess there is a difference between worship and reverence.

I think it makes Jesus seem mean, and Mary seem like the nice one who will convince him to let you into heaven?
    Anonymous

• We do not put Mary on the same level as Jesus. We hold her in high esteem, she is revered, but worship is exclusively for God the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.
    Anonymous