At what age do you think it's ok to start leaving your child in the bath by themselves?

Pls leave a reason why with the age you think is ok.
Thx in advance!

Dorothy24

Asked by Dorothy24 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I started leaving them alone while I would check dinner, answer the phone, things like that when they were around 3. Around 4 or 5 is when I started allowing them to pretty much be alone the whole time, I would just check on them maybe once or if they got TOO quiet. Now, they are 5 & 8, and they actually run their own bath, wash up (well, they get sent back to wash up), and let the water out all on their own.

I think it really depends on the kid, though. Even though mine can, and often do, do it all on their own, there are still days when I have to supervise b/c they are so riled up and hyper that to leave them alone would be the same as taking a water hose and spraying down the bathroom. And if the child doesn't understand how dangerous the water can be, leaving them alone is a bad idea.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• 3 thats when i left my son in the bath alone but I check on him every couple of minutes
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It would depend on the maturity of the child. I've started leaving my 4 yr old son in the bath alone to play while I read or putter around the house. He understands and follows the safety rules in the bathroom, so I am comfortable with his being in there for short periods of unsupervised time. If a child is not mature enough to follow the safety rules, then they should not be left unattended until they can prove themselves mature enough - age is not the factor, here, IMO.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I felt most comfortable leaving my son in the tub alone when he turned 4.Can't give ya specific reason,I just felt okay with it at this point.He liked to play(well,still does lol) in the tub for a long time and I had stuff to do.I'd still wash him up then after that he would pretty much just call for me when he was ready to get out.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• About 4, doors open, and mom within hearing. Also I didn't put a lot of water in the tub, maybe 2 inches. It's all they need to get clean, anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 4:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'd say about 4 also. Because that's when i was confident enough that my daughter was sure of the bathtime rules (no standing, no turning on the water, ect). My youngest is 2 and I'll leave her in the bathroom to get towels or her clothes or something but I won't just leave her to go watch TV or something. My DD who is 6, she can stay in the bathtub by herself and she's fine.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• wow! my ds was around 18 months when i felt comfortablke leaving him to check dinner or answer the ohone and such.. now at 3 he stays in tehre by himself the whole time, i check on him but dont stay in tehre with him... he also gets a full tub of waer becuase he loves to play in it.. im never too far that i cant hear him but bath time is a great time to clean the kitchen or bedrooms with out unwanted help!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• With my older kids who usually bathed together it was when the youngest was about 3. She's kind of flighty and would never stay seated in the bathtub so I had to watch her (she is majorly accident prone and always getting hurt in the most benign settings). At the time the kids were 3, 4 and 5. The older 2 were allowed to bathe alone if wanted but the 3yo could only be unsupervised (by an adult) if her siblings were in the tub with her.
    Now they are 6, 7 and just turned 9 and they turn the water on themselves. I'm not usually involved in bath time except to check and make sure they actually washed and to clean their ears. My youngest is 3 and the other day my 6yo got out of the shower and she hopped in. I didn't know that until she came down wrapped in a towel. I was cracking up. She didn't wash her hair but I guess she used the soap on her body.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009