What does this new soccer coach need to know?

Okay, so I got the call to ask me to coach ds's u6 soccer team. I just finished coaching tball 2 weeks ago with a great manager and we had a great season, but I know NOTHING about soccer. And I am the COACH. There is no manager,and as far as I know we don't even have an assistant coach yet. Any experienced parents, I would love some advice, maybe something to remember or a drill to try. As a parent, what do you want your child's coach to know?

jdanielle82

Asked by jdanielle82 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DH has always played soccer since a little kid. He has been coaching our son's U6 for the past 2 seasons. I watched, but don't know a whole lot.
    I know he was very fair, everyone played equal, no matter who was a good player. We had a few practices before the season started and practiced kicking the ball to each other. Just to learn control of the ball. He aslo let them practice trying to kick goals past him. Play lil games with them like "crab in the middle" or "sleeping monster" bore are same idea. Coach in the middle on the ground crawling like a crab. Players have to kick the ball in a controlled manner to the other side w/o you getting the ball. If you do, then they are in the middle like a crab with you, helps learn to dribble the ball. The other is a slleping monster. Curl up in a ball on the ground like your sleeping with all of the players balls beside you.
    cont
    Anonymous

• They have to sneak up get their ball and get it back to the safe zone before you can steal it.
    each player should always bring a ball to practice.
    Another game was in a square area each player had to kick their own ball around while trying to also kick everyone elses ball out of the square. Last one to still have their own ball wins. For fun, even tag is a good game to get them running.
    Oh, my hubby is also a stickler for the rules. Just because they are little doesn't mean they should learn to play the wrong way.
    GL
    Anonymous