Pagan question

If you believe that the goddess gave birth to the god, can you explain please how she got pregnant in the first place? I guess i just need a better explanation of the creation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• For me it's metaphorical, if you mean The Goddess as The Ultimate Divine. The Goddess is the entire universe, and as she "gave birth" to planets, stars, people, and worms, she also gave birth to the gods and goddesses of the spirit realm. The gods are Her creation, another manifestation of Her.

And divine procreation need not mimic human sperm-meets-egg conception. Just as Christians believe that YHWH spoke, and His words created all life, male and female, Pagans can just as easily believe that the Divine created life in a more involved, feminine way - through birth rather than command.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well my personal answer would be that it is metaphorical. The god is masculine energy, not a person. Sometimes it is also answered by adjusting one's view of time. Most cultures have viewed time as cyclical rather than linear, so the god could impregnate the goddess, die & be reborn to her over & over again. Another way of understanding it is through reincarnation, he dies & is reincarnated as his & her son.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• So if it is metahphorical (which i agree and understand 100%) then what is your literal idea of how the world and god came to be? (hopefully i worded that correctly)
    Anonymous

• It kind of boils down to the whole Son/Lover Myth

(Notice my use of the word "myth"...as in a story our ancient ancestors came up with in order to try to explain something intangable in a tangable world.) 

Personally, it doesn't matter to me how things came to be...what matters is that they have come to be.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• How the world came to be is explained in the Big Bang theory, which I have only an elementary understanding of. Gods came to be when humans created them by manifesting select energies into superhuman forms, as best as I can tell.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• She is a goddess, who says she had to be pregnant?? We do not know how Gods and Goddess create life
    Anonymous

• I am a pagan and i do not believe that

autumnsunris113

Answer by autumnsunris113 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• What does it matter? Virgin procreation? Father god becomes his own son? It's just one of those confusing "god" things. You know, like the Father, Son and Holy Ghost in christianity.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• father son and holy ghost isnt confusing.
    Father- That is God and he is the creator of everything
    Son- That is Jesus
    Holy Spirit- When Jesus died he left his holy spirit on earth for us
    Now the trinity is the Father son and holy spirit and they are 1
    Anonymous

• in genesis multiple times it says, Then God said," let "us" make man in our image, in "our" likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.

when it says us and our in genesis 1:26 it is refering to God himself, Jesus and the Holy Spirit(trinity)
    Anonymous