WHAT TO DO?

My son is almost 16months and just the past 2 days he has been throwing a fit when he dont get what he wants.. He starts screaming if we will not give him what he wants is the normal what should i do? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol! My DD did the same thing at that age. It is totally normal. I think it has a lot to do with learning about rejection and "no." It is just something they need to learn to do.

When this started with my daughter, we simply ignored her. Time out didn't work for her. If she started throwing a fit, we would just walk away. Most of the time, she would cry for a minute and then come find us. It was funny, she would get so upset that she couldn't calm down. We would hold her until she calmed down. She had tantrums daily for a couple of weeks but they slowly died down.

She just turned 2 and we don't have any fits anymore. Just the other day she wanted to play on the escalator at the bookstore. I didn't have time and so I had to tell her no. She laid on the floor and was about to scream. I said "Simone don't you dare. Stand up. We are leaving." And she did. She pouted the entire way out but no tantrums.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'll tell you what I did when my girls would throw fits: I ignored them. My 'rule' or 'idea' or whatever now is: throw a fit all you want but do it in the privacy of your own bedroom so I don't have to hear it. But since he's just a baby, I'd say ignore it. Tell him NO and let him cry until he stops. It might take a while but if you give in to what he wants, he'll think that throwing a fit is the way to get things done. So if you say no, and he throws a fit and a little fit doesn't work, he amp it up and amp it up until it works. That's just me though. Someone else may have something different that works. AND my kids (6 and 2) don't throw fits now. They really don't. I can't remember when my 2 year old threw a fit last.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh and, whatever you do, DONT GIVE IN!!! If you do it one time, they learn that they need to throw a tantrum to get what they want.

I would also recommend talking to them about their behavior. After they calm down, I think it is a good idea to say that they need to be a happy baby. "No crying, be a happy girl." Also, try telling them how good they are being when they don't cry and scream. Encourage good behavior and ignore bad behavior.

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• good advice jcsscfam5. I try to be as honest and open with my girls as possible and ALWAYS tell them why they are in trouble, when they get in trouble. Even if they don't understand exactly what I'm talking about, just to let them know. And sometimes I'll say "I love you but you can't act that way. No screaming, no crying." It's been a while though. Like jcsscfam5 and I said - DON'T GIVE IT! That's the cardinal mistake. :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I know this is the time they can finally express their actually feelings. I let my son throw the tantrums and I walked away and if they got too bad because he used to cry walk and follow me around, I would make him sit and ask him every minute, Are you done? until he'd say "all duh" lol!! just stand your ground or I am told they just continue to get worse. my son at 20 months still does it and they are stronger fits of course but I still don't ever give in and he gets over them quicker than he did at 16 months -probably cause he knows I won't give in. try to get him to help you with something and make it sound extra fun - just redirection is the most important -if he wont, which my son rarely did - let him cry til he realizes its not working.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yeah it must be the age because my son drops his sippy on the floor then screams pointing at it!!!!!!!!!! So annoying I just laugh and tell him pick it up and I walk away.
    Reshel

Answer by Reshel at 4:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Thank you guys so much :) God bless you
    Anonymous