Orthidontal question...

Ok, so I took my kids to the dentist this morning. The dentist said my middle son needed braces due to the gaps between his teeth. WHAT? He almost has all his adult teeth, one more left to come in. The dentist said that N. has large gaps between his teeth and needs to get them fixed. I asked if this was for function or cosmetic. The dentist said that it was mostly cosmetic, that large gaps could get food stuck in between, but they also can be flossed more easily. He seemed to think the only reason N. needs braces was for appearance. I have never thought he needed braces and have always been told it was good he had these spaces. I don't know what to think. I don't agree with the dentist, but will do what my child NEEDS. What are your thoughts and experiences?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It doesn't cost anything to have an evalution by an orthodontist. We saw 3 before going ahead with braces for our daughter.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Did your daughter need braces for medical or cosmetic reasons? What made you decide to do it?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I say go and see an orthodontist and see what they suggest. My daughter has very crooked teeth and once all her baby teeth are out i am sure shes going to need braces. My thought though as i sit here typing arent braces mosty cosmetic anyway? i dont know anyway if you really are concerned take the child and get him evaluated at an orthodontist or two and go from there
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 4:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My dentist said he thought my two sons needed braces. I took them to an orthodontist, and he disagreed. The evaluation was free.

It's really up to you what you choose to do.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Have all the kids evaluated by an orthodontist. My son has been going since he was 7 and he is now 13 and will be getting braces within the next year. During all these years, I have not had to pay any money. The ortho doesn't charge until the braces are one the teeth. My son goes next Thursday to have 4 teeth removed, that will be a total of 10. He has no room left in his mouth for his permanent teeth to come in correctly. I knew from a young age that my son would need braces, his teeth are just like mine were.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I guess my thinking is that his teeth are straight, just has small gaps between. (Dad has these also.) The dentist also said that he could get them later in life, just that the earlier usually requires less time.
    Here is the deal. I couldn't type this earlier cuz he was in here. My son has had a hard time lately. He had to have botox injections in his calves last July, and then serial casting on both legs then braces, Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy. He is already like "I am such a defective person." His words. He is 11. I just don't want to put this on him if he doesn't REALLY need it. KWIM? Anyway thanks for your advice. My hubby and I will discuss it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would call the orthodontist schedule a consult and find out for sure if your son needs braces.

No- ortho is not "mostly cosmetic only" (as someone said).
    Orthodontics is the study and treatment of malocclusions (improper bites), which may be a result of tooth irregularity, disproportionate jaw relationships, or both.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• elananme..It would appear that braces are mostly for cosmetic reasons, but many children (myself when I was younger) have other issues caused by the teeth. I could not floss because my teeth were being crushed together so hard. I couldn't chew food properly, because my bite honestly didn't meet except in 2 spots. So for me they were more than just cosmetics.

OP, personally, unless an orthodontist could show me where he NEEDED them for some medical or specific dental reason, I wouldn't put him through that. So, like the others said, get him an eval. Good luck with this.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2009