Have you ever applied for personal Blue Cross/Blue Shield?

I need to secure private insurance for my family. If you have applied, were you approved? Did you have any pre-existing conditions?

imacafemom

Asked by imacafemom at 4:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, I work at BCBS underwriting these individual policies. Not in your region so the guidelines in your state may vary slightly from mine. But i can tell you that in the states that I work we will rate up allergy injection a 20% increase. And it will depend on the severity of his asthma. They will probably have you fill out a questionnaire or do a telephone interview regarding this. For us if it's daily asthma meds they get a 40% rate increase. If it's just meds as needed they get a 13% increase. (i find it sad that i have these all memorized lol) It will also depend on the cost of his medications. If it's an expensive medication they may need to increase the premium more to cover the cost of the med. So there are many variables. If the premium amount is too high, you always have the option of raising the deductible. As far as preexisting, we always take these conditions into account when assigning your rating.....con't
    Anonymous

• I did for my daughter, but not myself. It was a pretty easy process for the kid. Filled out the history. Did a phone interview. Wish I could tell you more about for adults.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• P.S.: I am concered about the pre-existing, because both my son and I receive weekly allergy injections, and he has asthma.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 4:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Hmmmm. Way over my head. Are you using a broker to buy the policy? They might be able to help you.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I did for my son who was 20 at the time and no longer covered by our policy, and he was in college so didn't have a job with benefits. He had preexisting conditions that were specifically excluded, even though we paid a very high rate- probably unwisely, looking back on it. We knew he had health problems, so we felt he needed insurance, but these very health problems were excluded, so we didn't know what to do and ended up insuring him and hoping that the problems didn't flare up, which they didn't. But if he'd been in a accident. for example, or needed surgery for other than the excluded problems, then he'd have been covered.

Answer by Bmat at 4:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I wish I could be of mroe help BUT my family has Blue Cross Blue Shield through ym husbands employer. We pay NOTHING and ALL pre existing was covered after one year of being on the insurance. We all are ok now. We do, however, get their dental plan through private bc the dental wasnt included in the plan thorugh the employer.
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 4:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I looked into for my son whose aging out of student health insurance in college. We live in nj, wow is it ever expensive. Here bcbs goes according to where the applicant lives. I'd call your state's private insurance division and let them start you off with laws and go from there.

We ended up putting my son on cobra because I just couldn't trust nj private insur. Also I advise you to spend the money on a lawyer even through legal aid who's experienced in consumer law and second health insur. to have a look see. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a pre existing clause for you and son.

ALSO be very very care. Don't get temporary six month health insurance. That it turns out has a 90 percent chance of what ever illnesses were addressed in that time span to be considered pre exisiting conditions for newer insurance after that either the same or different.

Private health insur. is tough. Can you get your state low income?

Anonymous

• but if you have had continuous coverage for 12 months you get 12 months of preexisting credit. Meaning, we start paying for these conditions immediatly. If you are coming to us with no prior coverage history, then you get no pre existing credit. Meaning there is a 12 month waiting period before we will pay for those pre existing conditions.......did i confuse you more? lol
    Anonymous