Should my almost 5th grader know cursive already?

We are moving from upstate NY to Dover DE. My concern is should my 10 year old have already been taught cursive hand writting. He got a packet to practice over the summer, but I remember learning ALOT earlier. When did your child learn to write in cursive?

Kristen526

Asked by Kristen526 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think I remember learning sooner too.
    Anonymous

• I think we started learning in like the 3rd or 4th grade (if not earlier) because in 5th, they wanted us to ALWAYS write in cursive....especially in english or language arts, whatever it was call then
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• See, thats what I thought too.... I thought you got introduced in like 3 rd, practiced all 4th, and you had to write like everything in cursive by 5th grade. Ugh.... guess we need to work everyday on it all summer long... poor kid!
    Kristen526

Answer by Kristen526 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I learned cursive in 2nd grade and had use it from then on.
    Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• DS learned in 2nd and 3rd grade.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• YES THE CHILD SHOULD KNOW BY NOW BUT MY SON GOING INTO 5TH DOESNT KNOW EITHER MESS ME WHERE ARE YOU FROM WONDER IF WE LIVE NEAR EACH OTHER
    dannie0802

Answer by dannie0802 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• The kids here learn in 3rd grade.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I learned in 2nd and it became mandatory in 5th. My SS in going into fith and has not even been taught it yet. My two daughters are going into 3rd and havent even been introduced to it except at home.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 7:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My son's school introduced to him in 4th. I don't think it's a requirement in the 5th. For my son, though, writing has always been a problem, but cursive is actually easier for him. Your son may pick it up easier than you think. Don't worry about it. ;) He'll be fine.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 8:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Mine started learning cursive at 2nd grade and by 3rd they were writing papers in cursive, so yeah I'd say they should know cursive by 5th grade if you live here. It really does depend on the state and the standards there if you're moving states. If your child hasn't learned it already and you're wanting good curriculum to teach him you could try http://shopping.hwtears.com/category/workbooks-guides.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009