Breastfeeding mothers out there i need advice please!!!

I have my baby in May of the 26th and since then my baby girl loves to just suck and suck, I knows thats good but to the point where she will spit everything out and sometimes throw up all the milk, what do I do? Then she gets hungry all over again. Now she is crying, I stopped give her because she spit up again and I do not want her to throw up what she ate. Any advice!! Please and Thank you !!

Leilany1019

Asked by Leilany1019 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Could it be something you're eating that's bothering her? How long is she suckling? By this point, I think they can eat in about 15 mins. so maybe she's just using you as a paci. Do you give her one? Maybe try that. My daughter never took a paci, but she would suck on our fingers.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well, I didn't really have much of a problem with spitting up with my dd. She usually ate until she fell asleep.

If she has recently spit up and has an empty stomach, go ahead and feed her but not for too long. You might try timing your feedings so you don't let her eat to the point that she gets too full. Take the time she usually nurses and then shorten how long you allow her to nurse. This should allow her to get enough food, but not so much that she spits it back up.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I dont think it something I am eating because i eat pretty oatmeal or cereal for breakfeast with side of apple sauce or ypougrt, for lunch a salad with chicken, dinner sagetti ...things I ate throughout my pregancy. She feeds for 30 to 45 mins. She will not except a pacifier. She sucks feels nothing come out and gets pissed off/
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh, and don't stress. She isn't going to starve.

If you end a feeding early and she still seems to want to nurse, give her your finger or a pacifier to suck on instead. I didn't want to give my daughter a pacifier, but she wanted to nurse all the time and I wasn't going to let her. She gave the pacifier up on her own at about 6 months. I guess she just didn't need it anymore.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• thats the problem casperskitty she feeds till she falls asleep sometimes and spits it out, before this would happen but it does now and I have no idea what to do???
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Mine didn't take a pacifier either at first. But she started to when she realized she wasn't getting the breast again until her next feeding.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Maybe you should try contacting the La Leche League for advice. You should be able to contact someone through the hospital where you delivered. Or by looking up your local chapter online. Call them and ask what they would advise you to do.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• ohh...wow, my midwife told me not to do that to basically feed on demand because supposely when there hungry they let you know. I dont get it !
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• okay thank you i think i will call the la leche league...thank you for the advice though.
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• try different shape nipple pacifiers...my son only takes one shape. ALso try giving her a paci in nursing position. she wants to suck and overeats.
    COgle3

Answer by COgle3 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009