Advice about poop, breastfeeding baby??

I'm breastfeeding my baby, But her poop comes out like orange, yellow liquid, is this normal, and it smells like glue! Any advice on this.

Leilany1019

Asked by Leilany1019 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • yup. BF baby poop is not pretty... and kinda smells. I hear it is better than FF baby poop. But that is totally normal.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• oh..okay thank you because this is my first time purely breastfeeding. Thankyou for the advice!
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yes she is right, breast milk diapers look VERY strange - but they generally smell pretty great compared to formula diapers! HA! I am sure it doesn't seem great right now - but just wait until you introduce solids... Then you will miss the smell of "glue"!!!

How old is your baby? The first couple of days/weeks depending on the baby, the poop is still the meconium from the womb, so it is thick and tarrish and dark green or black. Then when the milk comes in and baby starts eating more the poop turns yellowish and seedy. The seedy poop will last for a little while, and then all of a sudden you will have full fledged poopy on your hands!!!! LOL!

Good Luck!!!
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 5:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• She is a month old and thank you for the advice!!
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It also looks strange because breast milk is completely digested. Your baby uses all of it. So there isn't very much waste. It's even normal for your child not to poop at all for a day or two if they are exclusively breast fed. There isn't anything for them to poop out.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2009