Plane travel with carseat/stroller combo?

I am flying US Airways with a 5 mos. old soon. I have the Graco travel system carseat/stroller combo. Can I walk this up to the gate? Will they let me take both the carseat and the stroller? What do I do about the base? I need that when I get to my destination. A US Airways customer service rep. was so not helpful. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know you can take the stroller up to the gate, whta you can do is get a bag for the carrier, and check it. then tell them when you are checking the bag you want to take the stroller you to the gste with you. and they will have to tag it, but when ever you get off the plane your stroller will be at the gate for you when you get off.
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 5:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• it will VERY hard to close and to deal with that heavy thing. once you're about to go in the plane, they make you leave it right next to the door, and i dont know where they store it lol but when you get off, its outside already..but you have to open and close it..which is the biggest bitch.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 5:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You actually don't need the base with Graco seats. You can just use a seatbelt over the abdomen area. There are slots for it. Perfectly safe and an approved way to use it. They store the stroller in the cargo area of the plane. Not sure about the carseat. I am going to take mine and hope they have an extra seat so i can use it on the plane without buying another seat. :-)
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 5:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• The biggest plus is that most airlines (US Airlines is one of them) lets you check the carseat and stroller for free, and also lets you get on the plane with an umbrella stroller! It is pretty sweet! I am checking the big stuff, and then strolling my son in a smaller stroller (not an umbrella stroller, but also folds up small) right onto the plane! Then they will let you board first too which helps when travelling with a stroller.
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 5:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well I flew yesterday with DD and I brought both the stroller and carseat to the gate(with the base too). They told me I was only allowed to check one item next time. I have bags for both the stoller and carseat so they didn't get dirty when they put them under the plane. The base fit in the carseat bag and the stroller one is more of a cover(with the wheels exposed). They were about $20 each on e-bay. They allowed me to check them both at the gate, but told me "next time" I will have to pay to check them. The PP said US Airlines allows you to check them for free, and I flew Southwest, so it may be different for each airline! Hope this helps and GL!!
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009