Went to the doc's today and...

She seemed to be concered that my son is : 11months old, 26inches...and 18lbs. He eats a full mean about 5 times a day...drinks well, and definitely fills his diapers WELL! haha Does anyone else have a tiny lil' 11monther? Keep in mind I am 5'0 and his father is 5'8...we're not tall people! Anyway if you have had this "problem" what did the doc's do? or look for? what did you do?

xandersmama22

Asked by xandersmama22 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How big was he at birth? Usually they only get concerned if they aren't growing enough. Like if you had a 10 lb newborn and now he's only 18 lbs that would kind of worry me. But if he was a tiny newborn chances are he'll be a tiny toddler.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 5:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• He was 6lbs 19inches at birth.
    xandersmama22

Answer by xandersmama22 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My son has always been on the lower end of the weight scale also - they will just monitor it - in fact, my son at his 18 month check up was only 23 lbs... he said its probably just genetics but they still need to monitor it just in case it "could be" that he isn't digesting the nutrients correctly.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my daughter is 16 months, 26 inches, and 24 pounds. im 5'1" and her dad is 5'8" so shes kinda chunkey and short, but she hardly ever eats.i wouldnt worry about it. im sure he will be fine. my son on the other hand, is 38 inches and 30 pounds, and he is 30 months. and he is very healthy. my son was 5 lbs 11 oz 18 1/2 inches long, and my daughter was 6 lbs 14 oz, 18 inches long.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My dd was 8lbs at birth and didn't reach 20 lbs until she was about 20 months. She also is short. Her pediatrician only really cares about her height to weight ratio which is in the 50th %, or average. Individually, her height and weight are in the 1st %. But as long as she is healthy, it is fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. And if the pediatrician is an alarmist, I would find a new one. Being concerned about a real problem is one thing, making you crazy thinking there is a problem when there isn't is another thing entirely.

We always have people ask how old our dd is and they are shocked to find out she is 2 1/2. They think she is more like 20-24 months because of her size.

My best friend had the same issue with her younger son and her doc drove her crazy worrying about it too. Some kids are just small and I wouldn't worry unless he shows signs that he is unhealthy.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• And just so no one thinks that my daughter's pediatrician is ignoring anything, dd's fraternal grandmother is about 4'9" so we suspect she may end up very short as well. Our pediatrician is a wonderful doctor and we love her.

Admittedly, she was a little concerned at first about dd's size, but after learning about grandma, she chalked it up to genetics. We will keep an eye on dd's height and weight and overall health, but it isn't something that is brought up in every doctor's visit or that we are made to worry about.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• He sounds perfect for an 11 month old. Heck my 22 month old just hit 20 lbs so an 11 month old 18 lb-er sounds great! But really, 18 lbs at 11 months isn't too small. Pretty average a few years ago, but now most people have huge babies lol.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 5:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I have the same issue! I have a 1 year old and when he went for his check up he was only 18.9lbs! He was 6.12 at birth and was a month premature. He eats a lot!!!!! And drinks a lot! BUT I am only 4'11 and my husband is 5'10. I was a really small kid and so was my husband and his brother so I am hoping its just genetics? But my pedi is monitoring and he has to go back for a weight check soon. its not like he is not eating ya know! He eats a wide variety of food for a toddler. One of the factors I consider is that he doesnt sit still EVER!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 5:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2009