vaccuum assistance in delivery

what was your experience like delivering your baby with the help of vaccuum extraction? i didn't feel a thing because of the epi, my MIL said it felt like her insides were being ripped out, but she didn't have any drugs, and i've heard from others that it still hurt even with meds. what was it like for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i never had it, but a woman i talked to recently said she had to go be with her 1 wk old grandaughter who was in a childrens hospital after a completely perfect pregnancy and healthy baby she was suffering seizures and might have brain damage. all because the doc that used the suction on her head, did it way to hard and almost killed her, messed up her head and her brain. i guess as she came out he almost fell back against the wall , cause the suction was so strong . that makes me sick.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I didn't feel it but it didn't help anyway. All it did was leave a large, nasty bruise on my son's head and the doctor still had to use forceps to get him out, which left a small cut his head. I think I only know of one person who said it helped and she didn't feel it either. She and I both had epidurals.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Wow, I think (hope!) that the experience Cody'smama talked about re: vacuum extraction is pretty rare. My 2nd was having a lot of decels during delivery, so they briefly used the vacuum on him to get him out faster. Yes, it does leave a bump and a bruise but it was gone in a week or so. No trauma or brain damage whatsoever. I've truly never known of a case myself where it caused trauma to the Mom or baby. And no, it didn't hurt and it sure did work to get my baby out (along with my pushing)! But I had an epidural too.
    jmcgladr

Answer by jmcgladr at 5:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I was in labor for like 26 hours with my first, they took me backto prep me for a csection. Once they gave me the spinal cocktail to numb me for surgery, I dialted to 10 within seconds and since I was numb they used the vacuum with the jelly like cap and since she was merely a fingertip from being born, and I was numb i didn't feel one thing. I pushed a little, so they say, i really didn't know if I was pushing or not but that was the best medication I've EVER had.
    Keisha0806

Answer by Keisha0806 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2009