Do you think that the current health care system is broken?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know that I would classify it as broken, but I am willing to say that it is inefficient and too costly. I will go a step further and say that I believe that government will destroy health care while equally destroying the middle class financially.

Anonymous

• YEs its broken, but at the same time while i think something needs to change to fix it im not really srue what that something should be!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Considering that ambulance rides cost THOUSANDS of dollars, and people are denied treatment even to the point of death because they can't afford it, I'm going to go with

NO SHIT IT'S BROKEN
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 5:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Sarah Clobert-
    LOL stop being so dramatic. I don't know where you live but I saw the last 2 ambulance bills my mom got and one was just over 1 thousand and the other was about $650 . The fact is no one who is in an emergency situation is denied care. An emergency is bleeding, shot, stabbed, heart attacks or massive injuries from an accident, among other things.

As for our health system being broken, you can call it what you want but we do need to stop the fraud in Workers comp, Medicare and Medicaid, the frivolous lawsuits, waste and inefficiencies of the whole system. With all that saved money we could insure all the legal residents who do not have care. Since the pharmaceuticals and hospitals are willing to cut millions for Obama they can continue to be part of the solution. there is no reason to dump the whole system for another
    POS!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Most people do have healthcare that is better than any government option. The small percentage that don't have healthcare 20 percent of them make over 50k a year and choose to not have insurance. Another 20 percent do qualify for existing programs just don't realize it or are too lazy to apply. Another 20 percent are illegal and really don't deserve any free healthcare and should not qualify they can go back home. So there are 40 percent of that 50 million that actually need help. We are going to blow up what works for 250 million to help 20million people? We need to find a way to help them without bringing everyone else down.

Anonymous

• My seven week old son died last December because we couldn't afford treatment for what they told us was influenza type A... the system is broken.
    Anonymous

• I would say no, but I want to have hope and faith that it will get better cuz I know some people need it. Soooooo, here's to hoping it gets better for those that need it.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 6:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• YES.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 6:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Yes, the health care system is broken.
    Doctors are leaving their practice due to malpractice insurance. It is costing many doctors .48 cents on every dollar they make. That is being passed on to you the patient.
    People come into the ER without insurance and no way to pay. You pick up that tab.
    A tylenol cost $7.00 or more.
    Doctors and nurses are spending more time doing paper work, than caring for patients.
    Expensive tests are being ordered to protect the dr from being sued. ( Defensive medicine.)
    Insurance companies can deny people who have pre existing conditions.
    Insurance policies are too expensive for many people. So those without insurance wait until their conditions are critical. Intensive care cost are more than 5000.00 a day for JUST THE ROOM.
    Something needs to be done Soon. These are just a few things wrong with the system.

Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think HC needs an overhaul, but I do NOT think the politicians are the ones who should be fixing it.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009