How many years diffrent would you let your child be friends with.

would you let your 12yr old hang out with kids younger,older or more same age?

twistedcandy

Asked by twistedcandy at 5:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Age has nothing to do with it. My son hangs out with a boy his age and he's a horrible influence on my son. I look at the person, not their age. If the friend is a good influence and they get along, it shouldn't matter what their age or gender or race or anything is...
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 8:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You know, that really depends on the maturity of my child and her friends. I have a 15 yo step-daughter who is close friends with an 18 yo girl. The 18 yo is fairly immature so they actually get along well. But I don't like the girl because of the way she treats my 15 yo. So, while I wish I could keep them apart, I know that there is no hope of that and I would only drive them closer together if I tried.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Only a couple of years apart. More than three is too many.
    Anonymous

• basically they have to be in the same grade as my daughter and really if shes in the fourth grade and her friend is a fifthe grader i wouldnt have a problem wit that but nor more than that cause there is a world of difference between a fifthe grader and and sixth grader
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i would let my 12 yr old hang out with kids who are younger, older, and her same age. im not saying i would let my 12 yr old hang out with an 18 yr old.. but if shes hanging out with a 14 or 15 yr old, thats no big deal.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It would depend on the kids. My best friend growing up was 5 years younger then me. She was 7 and I was 12 when we met and we were a perfect match. She's still one of my best friends 20 years later (she's now 27 and I'm 32). Our parents never had a problem with us hanging out with each other.
    We also hung out with kids of all other ages.
    My kids already have friends of all ages. Last summer I tallied it up and the kids playing out front were 2 12 year olds (both boys), a 9yo, an 8yo (my dd), 2 7yos, 2 6yos (including my son), a 5yo (my dd), a 3yo and a 2yo (my dd). They all played fine together. There's always a big group of kids ranging in age from 2-13 playing outside together.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2009