Is Autism Genetic? yes for only a lower percentage of individuals with autism (genome.gov)

http://www.genome.gov/25522099#5

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Possibly. But, my ten year old son was perfectly normal --actually, above average in every way until he received his 18 month immunizations. He changed overnight. He is on the mild side of autism as well ---very intelligent, but he has trouble with socialization and communication, and behavior issues. And, he stopped eating any and all food at 18 months. He has had a feeding tube in his tummy every since. So, whether docs want to agree or not, I do think that set of immunizations can cause autism.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well, I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones...both of my boys have a mild (high functioning) form of autism--both verbal, both potty trained by age 3 1/2, both attend regular ed classrooms 80% of their day, and both have language, social and behavioral issues.

But i love them more than life itself, and credit all of our hard work, early interventions and traditional therapies WITHOUT the need for psychotropic drugs, plus a stable and loving home for their successes thus far, and at only 7 and 5 years old, their futures look very promising!!! :o)

I'm sorry, was there a question in there?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm sorry but I don't any idea what the information of the link you posted. It says that in 85% of cases of autism the caused is unknown if I'm not mistaken.

So I guess some cases of Autism are inherent. Am I right?
    Anonymous

• Mine has moderate to severe autism and I believe he was born with it. We have chose not to haveany more kids for fear of the genetic issue.
    Anonymous

• I don't think the medical doctors know the cause. Many people speculate that autism and immunizations are related. The doctors have increased the number of immunizations that children receive, and autism has risen with it. They also used to put mercury in the immunizations, which is pretty bad for the brain. My daughter had behavioral problems that were on the mild end of the autism spectrum, which got worse with every round of shots. She also was addicted to warm cow's milk. We eliminated the milk when she was in 1st grade, and she went from a disruptive, distracted child with mostly C's for grades, to an excellent student with mostly A's. My younger children have not been immunized and have none of these problems at all. I have a friend with a moderately autistic 5 year old. She has switched him to a dairy and gluten free diet, and his behavior is night and day. He is still autistic, but so much more relaxed.
    kristinelovesu

Answer by kristinelovesu at 10:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2009