leaving the hospital

did you have issues with putting your baby in the car seat? or once you got home, were you pretty much clueless??

I'm watching those baby shows, and honestly, these moms annoy me. they act like they didn't read, practice or anything before the baby came

i'm not picking on anyone in any way, just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• not I! i am the type of person though that can just look at something and figure out how to use it very quickly though. some people are not very mechanically minded!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• In general no I wasn't completely clueless, but I did a lot of research during my pregnancy and had some infant experience already.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We did have some issues with the carseats for the twins. I told my husband it was his responsibility to install the bases and have the seats ready before the babies were born (I just wasn't physically up to it at that point). He finally installed the bases 2 days before the babies were born. When we left the hospital I assumed we'd have to put them in the seats in the room and then carry them down, but they told my husband to pull the car to the dismissal lane and wait for me. I carried both babies down with me in a wheelchair, and when my husband took the first baby he realized that the straps needed to be adjusted. It was at least 100 degrees and I was standing on the sidewalk holding two brand new babies while he figured it out. It took us 20 or 30 minutes to get loaded up, and we were both pretty irritated. I'm glad we weren't being filmed!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We weren't allowed to leave the hospital without showing them that I knew how to put my son securely in his carseat - which meant that we had to bring it in to my room first, put him in the carseat, then take him out and put it all back in the car. They didn't check to make sure it was secure in the car, but I was able to assure them that I knew how to secure the carseat, even had the manual with me to show them I knew what I was talking about.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Knowing I would fall into that category, I went to the fire station and they installed it for me a few weeks before my due date.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh, just thought of the show where the dad falls asleep with the one day old baby on his chest. Baby rolls off onto the floor. When baby starts crying, new parents get up and look in the bassinet - no baby. They have to look around then eventually find the baby on the floor. I knew I would never be that crappy a first time parent, so I felt much better after that episode.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Those carseats can be tricky, but mom or dad should at least try to fix it in the car before the baby actually arrives. lol
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Nope we had no mishaps. Car seat was installed properly, adjusted it fine, got home get baby out fine...I wasn't that hard i mean at first all they do is eat sleep and poop. lol
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• With our son, they didn't even ask if we had a car seat. I think they were afraid to ask. I'd had such a bad experience after I had Little Man, I ended up going to the guy in charge of the entire hospital and complaining. I'd had to chew out several nurses for not listening to me and trying to force things on my son that I didn't want (like feeding tubes and NICU stays when the only issue he had was refusing the bottle if it came from anyone but Daddy. For Daddy, he'd eat everything in the bottle, no problem, but if anyone else tried, Little Man would scream and turn away from the bottle.) It pissed nurses off that he wouldn't eat for them, and that I proved them wrong on several things. I think they were glad to see me go.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I didn't have any issues. I read the manual to the carseat and installed the base which was a pain because we had an older car and I had to use the stupid metal clip to secure the seatbelt which sucked.
    When my first was born the hospital required we bring the seat in to make sure we could fit her in it or whatever. I learned from that experience it is best to bring the seat in even if the hospital doesn't require it (none of the others I had kids at did). With each we brought the seat in and I adjusted the belts to fit then my husband took it back out to the car (I installed the bases because my husband doesn't understand how to do it even after 4 kids).
    I never really read anything about being a parent. I just go with my gut on most things. I think I'm doing pretty good so far. My oldest is 9 and so far they are all still alive, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009