Anyone have any suggestions for temper-tantrums? I have tried ignoring them, but it doesn't work.

Beca-smiles

Asked by Beca-smiles at 5:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• maybe try the naughty seat approach, you are supposed to sit them alone for the amount of minutes as their age. so if your child is 4 then sit them for 4 minutes. and if they move or get up or talk back or anything the time starts over again. and it is suggested to set a timer so your child will understand when they hear that bell that they can get up.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• How old is the child? That changes the answer significantly. For a 5 yr. old, I would basically try to teach them how to calm down, but for an 8 year old I would tell them to get a grip on themselves or go outside.

Actually, in our house we have 2 places where a child can throw a fit, their bedroom, or outside. I find it funny when in the dead of winter they choose outside, but I think sometimes the cold air calms them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I try to reward positive behavior. Somehow it causes less bad behavior. Here is an aswer I have posted before.
    "I have a point system. I use craft popcicle sticks. You get a stick if your good, i take one if your bad. Give alot away freely in the first few days to make them interested.

I then made a treasure box, (aka: tupperware box full of candy and dollar store stuff) if he had enough points at the end of the day, he picked out of the box! Just to let you know, I had started with saying "end of the week' but the reward needed to be more close to the "cause and effect" for it to matter to him.

For fun I even put note cards in the treasure box occasionally. For example " you can pick what movie we watch tonight" or " good for one ice cream cone at Mcdonalds"

I hope something I said may work in your home. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• Spank your child (DO NOT WAIL ON THEM OR ABUSE THEM), explain why you are doing it and make sure they understand what they did wrong, THEN use the timeout chair that truthteller. I did this when I had my nephew with me (EVERY weekend for 3 years) and after the first two or three temper tantrums I never had another issue.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Thank you to you all. I have tried all of the above. I've tried ignoring the behavior, giving time-outs, letting him throw his fit in the room & rewarding good behavior. Done the goodie box & point system. He is a very stubborn & strong willed child. He just turned six to answer Petie. My other kids are mellow mannered, but Mason is in a league of his own. All he wants is everything his way. This just won't fly in my household. I don't give in to his demands or temper tantrums & I end up being the one getting punished. I am left with feelings of resentment, anger & frustration. All of which I have to manage as not to fuel my sons behavior. I don't give preferential treatment to any of my kids. So I am just about at my wits end. Before someone brings up eating & sleeping as a factor. This too has been addressed. Help! I plan on talking to his doctor regarding this behavior on his well check visit next week.
    Beca-smiles

Answer by Beca-smiles at 7:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Beca, if it is that bad, then perhaps speaking to the doctor is your best option, I hope you find an answer somewhere.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My middle daughter was like this when she was that age..come to find out she wanted mommy and me alone time...don't know if this will help but I also gave her chores she liked the responsibility feeling like where she fit into the family...sometimes it is frustrations within the sibling rivalry..reward systems do work too! when he does something without complaint ,you should make a big deal about it..posiitve reinforcement!
    mochajava

Answer by mochajava at 11:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• spray him with water. I keep a water bottle handy. It gets their attention. Diffuses the situation. Turns it into a fun time.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Ugh, my daughter is doing the same thing! She is an only child right now, we do have one on the way though. We tried rewarding good behavior but when she's bad and i tell her to be good or she won't get ????? she just says she doesn't care and continues to ask naughty. We tried spanking, that did not work. We just send her to her room and she usually ends up falling asleep. So maybe he's tired? and acting out becuause of that? Good luck!!!
    CeeJay30

Answer by CeeJay30 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• How old is the child? That would be very important to know when answering this...I'll assume the child is between 5 and 8. In that case temper tantrums should not be allowed. My son still has them and I explain to him that at this age he should verbally be able to express his feelings..not by having a tantrum. Him having a tantrum gets him into TROUBLE. He then gets it and will calm down and come to talk to me.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 12:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2009