What car seat would you recommend for a 33 pound 2 1/2 year old boy? He is out growing his 5 point... Thank you!

kramersathome

Asked by kramersathome at 8:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My tall 2.5y.o. twins are nowhere close to outgrowing their Britax Boulevards.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my 2 1/2 year boy was the same way. i got him one of those booster seats WITH the back to them. he loves it! i was really nervous about just using the seatbelt with it, but trust me the seat doesn't move at all. AND HE LOVES IT:)
    chadsmom05

Answer by chadsmom05 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Get yourself a Graco Nautilus. It's a 5 point harness until 65 pounds, then it converts to a high back or backless booster until 100 pounds. We just bought one for my daughter and she loves it. It'll run you about $150 and can be found at Walmart, Meijer, and Babies R Us.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 2:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I think we have an Alpha Omega Elite. It harnesses up to 65 pounds. My son is 4 and 43 pounds still in a 5 point harness. Better safe than sorry :-)
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Many states have different laws but in Cali. our laws are 36 inches, 35 pounds and three years old before you can move them to the booster seat. But many companies suggest in car seat manuals that you keep a child in a five-point harness carseat until they are 40 pound and/or 4 years old. Triple A has recomendations different from state laws, but safer.
    xvgarnetpixievx

Answer by xvgarnetpixievx at 8:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Depending on your budget, you have various options. My boys are in a Graco Nautilus (about $150, but will last you 6 years!!) This one harnesses until 65 lbs, then it's a high back booster until '52 inches (if I remember correctly) and 100 lbs.

For more money, you can get a Britax (about $200-$250) or a Sunshine Radian ($250ish) These two harness until 80 lbs, and last about 6 years or so.

Check out this journal for more information.
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/797932/Car_Seats_Booster_Seats_and_Harnesses_Oh_MY
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 1:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• There are 14 higher weight harnessing seats on the market (the Alpha Omega Elite is NOT one of them...it only harnesses to 40lbs). These are the seats and the weights that they will harness to.

Evenflo Triumph Advance--50lbs
    Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe--55lbs
    Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard--65lbs
    Sunshine Kids Radian 65--65lbs
    Graco Nautilus--65lbs
    Safeguard Youth Seat--65lbs
    Safeguard GO seat--65lbs
    Recaro Como or Signo--70lbs
    Britax Frontier--80lbs
    Britax Regent--80lbs
    Sunshine Kids Radian 80 --80lbs
    CarSeatJunkie

Answer by CarSeatJunkie at 8:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008