Are you a marshmallow?

Do you give in to your teen? For example if you take something away for bad behavior for a period of time, do you give in and give it back sooner? I think I am a marshmallow sometimes. I just give in because of guilt. Or because it makes life easier for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Never heard it called a marshmallow but yeah I guess I am a marshmallow.embarrassedNot so much with punishment, but when he wants something, or for me to take him somewhere I give in if he wears me down.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My daughter says, "Yes you are, but that's a good thing." I say I am but it's not a good thing. The whole point is to do what you say you are going to do. Guilt is a very hard thing to deal with. Nobody can put me on a guilt trip except my kids. Some how I have to get a handle on that. LOL
    emtmom847

Answer by emtmom847 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I CAN be so a Marshmallow....I try to be tough, but sometimes it 's just too hard. The guilt eats at me too much.......lol
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am a marshmallow, yes. But I have to be honest, my kids can and do push me, sometimes more than I would like, But when I really mean something , I mean it and they know it. Everyone has their limits with their kids and mine know just how far I'll go. But when I'm done, I'm done and they know it.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Nope, I used to be but not so much anymore.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I can be. Especially when my husband grounds my daughter on the days he is not home to deal with her. Now I say if he grounds her he must be home to help re-enforce the rules. Teenagers whine more than 3 year olds. Sometimes we just want peace and quiet.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 10:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm not. I stick to what I say. I do not care how much she carries on, I will put her in her place for even doing that. My daughter does not stand a chance.
    JanuaryRayne

Answer by JanuaryRayne at 11:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am a marshmellow and my husband gets mad about me giving in but they are my babies and I feel bad for them
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 11:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• The first rule of parenting is to be consistent. Always. By curtailing a punishment, you are sending a couple of terrible messages: what the child did was OK with you. You can't keep your promises.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• NO. I can't be. I have seen children/teenagers whose mothers never followed through all the way, one is addicted to drugs and the party life lazy doesn't want to work or do anything productive with her life, the other tried to break up a marraige, had twin boys, and still didn't want to give up the party life. I strongly believe its because of the parenting.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2009