Sleep paralysis?

This has been happening to me for years. I used to think it was paranormal (I'm not crazy I swear) but the other day I heard about a sleep disorder where your body wakes up during REM sleep. It's the scariest thing for me. My eyes open and I can think and see the room but I am unable to move or make noise. During this I experience high anxiety and fear of falling back asleep. I would do anything for a pill that knocks me out and keeps me from dreaming or wasking up until 8 hours later. Like anethisia (sp?) for surgery where you close your eyes and when you wake up it's instant and like nothing happened.
Does anyone deal with this sleep disorder or have any ideas on what it could mean and how to treat it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Health

• I've done that before. You're not sure if you're actually awake or asleep, and when you finally do become fully awake, you're exhausted....See a doctor about it. They'll probably run tests for sleep disorders. Don't take anything stronger than Tylenol PM for sleep unless prescribed by your doctor. Those drugs can really do you harm, but if monitored closely by your doctor you should be ok. Ambien CR is what has finally worked for me, and I've tried it all.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• This happened to me alot when i lived in North Carolina. I am from KY and we moved there for 2 years cause dh was in the military. I guess just the stress of being newly married, and away from home triggered it. It always tends to happen when you sleep on your back, so maybe try to prop a pillow behind you to keep you off your back. I would hallucinate and think people were in my apartment. I would try with everything I had to scream or move to wake up but just couldn't. It is very scary. But it hasn't happened one time since we moved back home to KY. So just with that, I think stress can trigger it also. Talk to your dr though.
    Anonymous

• OMGoodness thank God I am not the only person that this happens too!!! I have talked to my hubby about it and it is definitely scary as hell!! Its like your mind is awake and fighting with your body to get up and no matter how hard you try you just cant and wont move!! Sometimes it seems soooo real but then other times its like I can calm myself down and tell myself 'ok this is just a dream. your gonna wake up!' But then when you do wake up your exhausted as hell and dont feel like you got any sleep!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2009