need help with night time wetting

what are some tips that worked for you mothers on helping your child not to bed wet or get them to get up when they have to go? she is completely potty trained in the day time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm letting nature take it's course. My son is a heavy sleeper, so he wears pull-ups. If he continues to wet the bed after 5 or 6, then I'll be more proactive, but I just believe in letting the body handle it's natural functions in it's own time - in his case, waiting for the bladder to get stronger on it's own rather than disturbing his sleep every night.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Patience.
    It really does not matter how long she's been day time trained. Some kids self train to stay dry at night, some don't. For the ones that don't, patience is the key. There are a variety of reasons kids wet the bed and none of them can be controlled by the child. It's like expecting someone to stop snoring because you've lectured them about it.
    Do not limit fluids. It does not work and the AAP recommends against it.
    Every once in a while, either put her in panties so she can feel the wet. See if she improves over the course of a week. If not, make sure she knows that you were checking to see if her insides were ready to stay dry at night - not her. Again, this is not something she can control.
    If she's still wetting at 5, try a bedwetting alarm. They have a good success rate. But most kids grow out of it long before then.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my son just turned 4 so he decided that he did not want to wear pull ups to bed anymore so i dont give him any fluids an hour before bedtime and make him go pee or at least try twice before he goes to sleep and we have had only 2 accidents
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My dd is 7 and is just now stopping. She is an extremely hard sleeper and was not waking up to go. I bought her a bed wetting alarm. Everytime she would start to go it would start to beep and vibrate, waking her up to finish. It teaches their bodies not to sllep so hard that they can't feel that sensation.She went from waking up soaked from head to toes to dry nights for 47 nights staright (as of now) :) Very pleased :) It is called Md Wet Stop or something, i found it (new) on Ebay for 40 dollars. I reccommend it (strongly)
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 9:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Mallory slept with me during her potty training stage. I never used pull ups. I think they confuse the kid. Anyway I quickly realized that when she started tossing and turning it was because she had to pee,so I took her to the toilet. It didn't disturb her sleep. In fact as soon as she went potty she slept much better.It didn't take long. She just turned 4 June 5th. She hadn't had an accident since early December 2007. But about a week ago she peed her bed twice in one night which was very odd. But when I changed her sheet I saw that she had also thrown up in her sleep. So it was just because she was sick that she had her accidents that night.But I admit for the next few nights I was pretty worried that she was regressing. I wish you well with this.
    CBMMOM

Answer by CBMMOM at 11:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Once my daughter turned 3, and had been day potty trained for over a year, she was still wetting the bed. So, I gave her some incentive. I promised her that if she could go 1 week without wetting the bed, I would take her to see her 1st movie in a theatre. For awhile, she would go 1 or 2 nights, then have an accident, then it would go 3 or 4 nights, and so on. Eventually, she went a whole week without an accident, so my husband and I got a sitter for our younger daughter, and had a special night out with her. She was so proud of herself for being a big girl and loved the special time with mommy and daddy as a reward. She hasn't peed the bed since. (It's been over a year)
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2009