Is it normal to have an a cyst on your ovaries?

I'm 7 weeks today and I've been having this pain off and on on my right side of my abdomen for the last 2-3 weeks. I've also had some mild bleeding but nothing heavy or constant. I've been to the ER and my doctor so many times in the last couple of weeks and finally found out today I have an a cyst on my ovary. The tech told me as if it was nothing, said it won't harm the baby, and that it sometimes disposes of itself or could stay throughout the pregnancy or could rupture. I'm like umm don't the remove these things when found? How could it not hurt the baby? She told me they would have to view the results again and see how big it is and then go from there but to just go ahead with my prenatal care. I'm so confused and worried. I feel the pain either once a day or every other day and I just take tylenol sometimes. Has anyone ever had one of these before while pregnant? and if so what happens?

aquarian26

Asked by aquarian26 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have had many...most are only water filled. The baby is encased in the uterus. The ovary will not affect baby.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I too have had many and by now dont need a dr to diagnose it
    Anonymous

• I had one too early in my pregnancy and one ruptured shortly before I got pregnant then. My ob said too that sometimes they just disolve with hormones in pregnancy and that mine then was too small to do any thing about. Mine in pregnancy did disolve.

I'd try to relax and make sure that you have ultrasounds to track its growth every three months or so if not a problem sooner. That's a part of your pregnancy history that's important to track. If it opens and causes problems you will know it, the pain is like labor contractions in abdomen even if you've not had a labor yet its pains unlike constipation pains for example. Try to enjoy your pregnancy and just be aware of it and not concentrate on it solely unless pain increases. Congratulations!!
    Anonymous

• I have recurring cysts too...painful and annoying but generally harmless.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• they normally burst on their own. They are common. If a problem the dr can remove it at delivery

Answer by admckenzie at 6:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• So this pain that comes and goes that can be horrible is normal with an a cyst?? It freaks me out completely. I'm glad at least now I know something because for the last few weeks in and out of the ER I've been told nothing can be found. Now my concern is if they heard the heartbeat from the ultrasound that was done two days ago. The one that was done two weeks ago showed no heartbeat. I'm trying to relax and give it God but it's so hard not to worry. This will be my second child in 10yrs!!! so I have different concerns the older I am now. But thank you for all of your answers, it makes me feel alot better hearing it from others who have been through it.
    aquarian26

Answer by aquarian26 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009