How can I continue to challenge my almost 4-year old?

My daughter is almost 4, and will be starting preschool in the fall. She's very smart, has an incredible vocabulary and is starting to really take an interest in reading, problem-solving, helping with tasks, imaginative play, etc. While I don't want to structure her playtime too much at this point, I also want to be sure that we're continuing to challenge and stimulate her. Any ideas on games/activities we should include in our repertoire?

TracyGrzy

Asked by TracyGrzy at 6:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Follow her lead. What is SHE interested in? Science? Math? History? English? Do what SHE wants and keep it interesting.
    Anonymous

• My son at that age liked the 'flash card game' I made flash cards with 'action' words like clap, spin . and jump. I would have him help sound them out and then do the action. He also like letter matching. The capital letter with it's lower case letter. lol we went through a lot of index cards for a while there! Hand me down dress up clothes are great to. hats, shoes, boas, necklaces, purses...When she draws a picture have her tell you what it is and write it down on the paper for her. Ask 'what do you think will happen if...' questions during play. Like what do you think will happen if I mix this yellow and green paint. or if I add soap to this running water. Wait for her to answer and then tell her 'well, lets find out!' and talk about what happen and how. This is a great introduction to science. Encourage her to act out the shows that she watches and create different endings. Identify letters on license plates!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Does she know how to swim, play soccer, do a cartwheel, ice skate, play piano? There are so many activities she can be learning - all of which help her learn how to learn - and she has the free time to start learning them now.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with PP. I realize now that it's really never to early to give your children structure and give them challenges because kindergarten is NOT what it used to be. This year my son will be going in and they expect the children to be reading.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009