Sleep paralysis?

This has been happening to me for years. I used to think it was paranormal (I'm not crazy I swear) but the other day I heard about a sleep disorder where your body wakes up during REM sleep. It's the scariest thing for me. My eyes open and I can think and see the room but I am unable to move or make noise. During this I experience high anxiety and fear of falling back asleep. I would do anything for a pill that knocks me out and keeps me from dreaming or waking up until 8 hours later. Like anethisia (sp?) for surgery where you close your eyes and when you wake up it's instant and like nothing happened.
Does anyone deal with this sleep disorder or have any ideas on what it could mean and how to treat it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ok i have some insight for you..now yes their is an ctual disorder like this wherey ou sorta sleep awake if that makes sense.

but their is also the spiritual phenomena known as astral projection/lucid dreaming.

some ppl think all of this is intertwined and the medical disorder is in a way a gift to make ite asier for you to enter the trance like state it takes most ppl to be able to astral.

really the thing that seperates the two. if you just feel like your sleeping but your looking around and canta move in your room...thats just it...and sleeping pills can help

if you feel a weightlessness and can actually will yourself to move and when i say move i mean fly....go outside etc. and you experience running into other people and or things....and see other wordly things...then thats considered an astral.

moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• with astral genrally you do not see your bedroom or your lawn outside, you see a completely different realm...aka the spiritual realm.....

ive sorta been obsessed with astral projections since i was a little girl because as a little girl it was something i could nto control and i did it all the time so ive studied it for awhile and learned how to control it..stop it..start it...where to go..where to not go lol. it fascinates the hell out of me.

but with anything spiritual gifted like this, you have to be carefull. think of it like this...when you enter yourself into any spiritual world, your like a beacon of light, and all the good and divine things will notice you,...but os will the darkness
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Moki1984:

I don't think it's astral. However, when this does happen to me, I try to call for help but cannot. So what I do is continuously say, "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus Christ". As a little girl, I told someone about what would happen to me. I get so scared because I would feel someone on top of me, pushing me down. I say it over and over again until I slowly start to become "unparalyzed". My fingers and lips will be the first to start moving. But part of me wonders if it's just dreaming/being awake and it is just a sleep disorder. It only takes place in the room I am in. So only my bedroom. But it did happen to me in the hospital the night I gave birth to my daughter.
    Anonymous

• Sleep paralysis occurs in 30% of the general population. In it you wake up in bed, feel paralyzed, and tend to sense a terrifying presence in your room. Sometimes you see something; sometimes you hear noises or even feel electrical shocks throughout your body.

This is actually is nothing out of the ordinary. Rather, REM sleep--the phase of sleep in which most dreaming occurs--is simply malfunctioning.

Our bodies are paralyzed while we undergo REM sleep, and for good reason (lest we act out our dreams and injure ourselves). But in some small number of cases we can actually start to wake up before paralysis wears off, and yet still remain in a dreaming state. What results is hallucination, often of some extremely scary stuff.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• if your feeling pressure that is usually abecause your trying ot breathe harder out of fear but its not necessary.

if its actually sleep paralysis, sleeping meds can help you. astral..it dont matter what you do, if it wants you you'll know lol. but it osunds like sleep paralysis which can lead to paranoia for a lot of ppl and feelings of dread because well..your paralyzed.

a doctor can prescribe you sleep meds that help to keep you fully asleep while sleeping and not waking up inthe middle of rem
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i have this too it happens to me quite often. if it happens again WIGGLE YOUR TOES AND FINGERS at the onset of it. you will then come right out of it.
    also sleep less on your back. most cases happen when your sleeping on your back.
    try to get plenty of sleep. not short 5 -30 mins naps durring the day either. but you know.. if your gonna take a nap durring the day make sure its atleast an hour.
    Jmain8

Answer by Jmain8 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Ask your doctor for a referal to a sleep specialist. They will do a sleep study on you, its not a big deal I've had it done twice. They place special electrodes on your head, hook you up to a heart monitor, oxgen level meter and electrodes on your legs and see what's going on with your body when you're asleep. Then they can figure out what's up with you and how to help you sleep better.
    ithi

Answer by ithi at 11:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Of course, I have to have a completely different viewpoint on this (just cause that's how I am, lol). I believe that sleep paralysis occurs after your spirit has been away from your body. Yes, ours spirits can leave our bodies while we sleep and go anywhere they want to. Don't worry, it won't get lost. And no other spirit can enter while you are "away." Anyway, the sleep paralysis part of it occurs while your spirit is reentering your body and something wakes you up (i.e. a noise, a touch for the person in bed with you) and your mind realizes your spirit is out. The paralysis, pressure on your body, inability at talk, and common rushing wind sound most people experience is all your minds way of trying to explain the feelilng of your spirit coming back to your body.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009