Why am I getting yelled at for this by friends & family?

Everyone I know is yelling at me because a few days ago, I took apart my daughters crib and put her in a toddler bed. Umm...there was no transition for her, if anything she is finally sleeping better and has so far slept through the night, something she didnt do in her crib. She is 19 months old, yet everyone is telling me she is way too young. Her room is child proofed to the max. She has most of her toys in there to play with when she wakes up, which she seems to enjoy a lot. I really dont understand why theyre yelling @ me. They are saying stuff like "she is way too young to be left alone in a room where she can get out of bed and do what she wants." And "It is mean to just take her crib from her like that." Umm the child hated her crib from day one. Can you tell me why Im hearing so much shit for this?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They don't know your child like you do. It annoys me to death when people think they know my child better than I do. I was planning on putting him in a toddler bed at 20 months. Most people I talk to put their child in a toddler bed around that time.
    Anonymous

• oh gosh. sorry. it's not like she's in a regular bed that she can fall out of. just tune them out and walk away ending conversation of it when it starts and hang up as soon as a caller brings it heatedly up. My kids went from cosleeping direct into todder bed for one and direct into regul. bed for others.
    Anonymous

• Some people are so judgemental! that is the only reason I can think of! Sounds to me like you did the right thing for your child and as long as you know that in your heart, it should not matter what anyone else thinks! I would just tell them politely as possible to keep their opinions to themselves unless you are asking for them.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Its your child, you're the mom! I see no problem with it at all. you know if she's ready or not, noone else can be the judge of that! dont worry about them, everyone always has a diffreent opinion, and they can raise theire children their way. As long as both of you are happy then its fine. Just them so far its great, if i see a problem i can put the crib back up.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 6:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• some people just don't have anything better to do then to just bitch about something that is not there busines, I would just ignore them in one ear out the other, your her mother and you know whats best for there and as for other people they will bitch for a while and eventually get over it.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree with the other Ladies. I would just make sure you tell your family that since you carried her, pushed her out of your vagina and you have cared for her since birth that they need to step off and mind their own business.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Uh, yeah - that would make me angry too. You're totally justified in being upset. If you have too, just tell them - she's your child, of all people YOU know what is best for your family and if they don't like it, then they just don't have to talk to you. Especially if your daughter is handing it well, I'd just try to ignore it or stand up for myself. My DD is 2 and is sleeping in a toddler bed AND HAS BEEN since she was 2. She probably would have benefited from it before than because she wouldn't sleep in her crib AT ALL. She slept in her playpen perfectly - I had to eventually take out her crib because she just would not sleep in it. But she would in her playpen. Nobody knows your child better than you do. Don't worry about it, girl. People just like to bitch sometimes.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• don't pay any attention to them. the move to a "big kid" bed should be based on the child's schedule. all three of mine were about 19 months old when they stopped using their cribs too. just knowing they were'nt trying to climb out of the crib anymore was a lot less stressful for me lol
    Krystinplus3

Answer by Krystinplus3 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Because everyone thinks they know better than the mother of the child, and feel it's their lawful duty to judge anything and everything she does for her own children. Had you left her in the crib a few months longer, you probably would be getting yelled at for having her in a crib for too long, and if you transitioned her, you would have been yelled at for being too soft on her and how you should have just taken the crib apart and put it away.
    Just ignore them and raise your daughter as you see fit. Sounds like you're doing a fine job of it, and you know your daughter better than anyone else on the planet.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Its up to you when you move YOUR kids. I personally wait for them to get their own room and big kid bed, but its because we moved my first when he was young like that and he WOULDN'T stay in his room. He would come in ALL night EVERY night into our room. But if yours is staying still in hers, I am all for it.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 7:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009