9 week old sick

I am keeping a 9 week old here for a couple of days and she has picked up my cold. She is really congested and her mom said she would be fine. well now I can't get in touch with her to ask her some questions so I am now asking you moms. I have the Johnson's Vapor Bath and was wondering if you can use it on a baby that young. Also, is it safe to put Baby Vicks Vapor Rub on her chest and back? I keep using the aspirator in her nose but the congestion keeps building. Her mom is in another state so taking her to the doctor is not an option....Mainly, I am looking for some home remedies that would work on a baby this young. Any help you can give would be great. I don't expect a lot of advice since she is so young but I am trying anything. If she was my child I would have taken her to the doctor but they will not see her since I am not her mother.
**If you don't have actual advice, please don't reply! There is no need for bashing**

2wndrfl_btrflys

Asked by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't use the vapor rub directly on the child. You could try putting some on your chest, put a shirt over it and hold the baby with her face near it. Another thing to try is turning on the shower to get a room full of steam (not hot steam, just warm and moist) and sitting the baby in there for a bit. Put her in the steamy bathroom in her carseat or hold her (just make sure you don't leave her in there alone). Another thing that may or may not work is a saline spray; it should be fine at this age, but I'm not a Dr. so I can't guarantee. And lastly, put a humidifier in her room or where she sleeps at night and during naps. This will help a great deal. I think sometimes, it is worse for us than the baby. My little guy had this problem quite a bit when he was tiny and it is difficult, but just as long as it is nasal congestion and not going into the lungs, she should be fine. Make sure the mucous is clear and not blood tinged.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 6:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• thank you very much....the humidifier and steam completely slipped my mind. I was reading it and thought, "DUH"!!! So should I not use the vapor bath either?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am would be really hesitant to use anything topical on the baby (vapor bath, lotion, etc.) just because their skin can be so sensitive at that age. And, that Vicks stuff, while good, is pretty strong...too strong for direct contact.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 6:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree - don't put anything on the baby's skin. Another thing you might want to do is to make sure the baby isn't laying flat on her back. She'll breathe easier if she's on an incline - like in a swing, carseat, ect... even let her sleep in one of those places. Definitely use a humidifier in the room she's in if you have one. I would keep using the aspirator and keep taking her temp to make sure she isn't running a fever. If she does have a temp you can give her infant tylenol.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Hop in the tub with her. the warmth will loosen it up. Do not give her milk it just makes more mucus. If she gets to coughing she will throw it up also. Definately use the humidifier. They have this menthol stuff that goes into it and that should help.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• thank you so much guys. I have been giving her tylenol as she has been running a low grade fever. just trying to keep it low before it gets high. I will try to lay her in the carseat when she sleeps. thank you all very much.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• As another posted said, I would get the "Little Noses" Saline drops (not the one with the decongestant) and put 1 or 2 drops in one nostrile and suction her out with a bulb suctioner then do the same to the other side. Also taking her in a steamy bathroom and using the humidifier (as pp said). Just be careful, since they aren't mobile yet, it can easily turn into something serious.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Just as an extra--even though you are not this child's mother, if this becomes a truly life threatening condition, the emergency room at a public hospital will treat the child. I was concerned b/c I am not a legal guardian of my step kids but my lawyer told me the hospitals will at least stabilize the child's condition without the parent being present. If the baby seems to be struggling for breath or her lungs seem to be getting congested, you may need to take her in & put the burden of contacting the mother on the hospital. Does this baby have any other family--dad, grandma, anyone? Hopefully it won't go that far but if you can't seem to get baby to feel better, you might want to give your local hospital a call. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Never keep someone else's kids when they are going to be out of touch without a medical power of attorney.
    Anonymous