Has your child ever started choking on something...what was it and how did you react????

About 10 minutes ago my daughter was gagging, when I checked in her mouth she had a bandaid sticking to the roof!!!
I was able to get it out but it wasn't easy and my heart just about dropped. So I'm just curios about other people's experiences and stories. (The bandaid was from her shot and I thought she had lost it because I didn't see it in sight but she must have found it!!!)

Lizzie32390

Asked by Lizzie32390 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gagging is different from choking.

My son did choke. As a newborn. I put him down on his back as instructed by all the experts. He spit up. And choked on it. I grabbed him, flipped him over, patted his back, held him up (still upside down) and suctioned him out.

He slept on his stomach after that.
    Anonymous

• It is funny that you ask this! Just last night my 7 month old son started coughing and choking on a little piece of banana he was trying to eat! I have been trained on how to aid a choking baby, so I knew what to do - but I am not going to lie, it felt REALLY awful, strange, and empowering at the same time to actually apply the life-saving skills I had learned!

As soon as he started coughing and I realized the banana was stuck, I pulled him out of his high chair, laid him across my arm, and started lightly thumping his back...

Out popped the banana, and then he started crying - sure fire sign that his pipes are no longer blocked!

Thank God!
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 7:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Hmm lets see. My son has choked on dog food, a penny, and the handle to a zipper off my coat. I react by usually shouting "JESUS help me!!" I then take my index finger and scoop out the throat. After its out I say "Thank You Lord" and shower him with love and usually comfort nurse. Then I clean AGAIN!!!
    RaiderMommy

Answer by RaiderMommy at 7:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• When my daughter was 2 1/2 she chocked pretty bad. The kids were eating lunch, and I was in the bathroom cleaning the floor by the toilet. She came in, and her eyes were HUGE. just as she got to me, her eyes rolled up in her head and she passed out, hitting her mouth on the toilet. I freaked and grabbed her and found a huge wad of peanut butter and bread. I was able to get it out, and she threw up all over me. She was screaming, so I knew she would be ok, but it was so scary! Oh, and on top of that, the poor thing was bleeding from her lip where she hit the toilet. I still feel sick to my stomach when I think about it.
    fivefikes

Answer by fivefikes at 7:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• LMAO RAIDER MOMMY!!! I had a GREAT laugh to that! Thanks!!!!
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 8:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My oldest was about a year old and she started choking on stuffing during supper. I kept hearing this whistling sound and I looked up and her eyes were wide open and her lips were turning purple.  I jumped up and hooked my finger in the back of her throat to dislodge the food that was stuck.  Then took her out of her high chair and turned her upside down on my arm and wacked her on the back a few times until she started cring.  She finally swallowed what was left in mouth and   I offered her some juice to wash it down but she didnt want it.  After I seen she was okay I told dh I'll be back and left to my bedroom to cry.  I have never bought Stove Top stuffing since and never will again. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my son was 5 when he began choking on a hard piece of candy at a restaurant. I panicked, screamed, and my husband did some form of hamlik manuever, and candy popped out, .....son began crying, and i almost did too. Crazy experience!
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 5:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009