Christians, Jews and Muslims, how many of you have researched Zorastrianism?

http://www.zarathushtra.com/z/article/overview.htm

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous --Okay....and the point of the website is? Alot of the points seem very Christian to me..... Is it suppose to be the opposite?

The point is it pre-dates Judaism and christianity...and is very familiar in those regards. There is reason for conjecture that both Abrahamic religions (well, all three, really, in ways) were actually just ripped off versions of Zoroastrianism, much the same way that when Rome conquered Greece they did a lot of re-naming and bait-and-switch with their own gods and similar Greek ones. It's important because so many christians insist there was no god before theirs, or that all other gods are imaginary, or any number of theories that simply defy any semblance of logic to non-believers and the differently-faithed.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Where did she say damn all Christians? I just read and re-read her question over and over and nowhere does it say "damn all Christians."

Not very Christ-like of you, Miss Anon.

I haven't read much on Zorastrianism. Isn't it something that says that Christianity and Judaism and Islam come from the same place and split into separate religions somewhere? I dunno.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Here's a link with some historical insight. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02151b.htm 

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Isn't it something that says that Christianity and Judaism and Islam come from the same place and split into separate religions somewhere? I dunno.

It's an entirely different religion altogether. They invented the belief system of one good god fighting a single evil (non-god) force, and that it was your job to decide if you would live by god or give in to the temptation of evil. It existed long before Judaism, in the middle east, around the same time as polytheistic Islam. It's from the seeds of Zoroastrianism that Judaism eventually came about, and they took it to serious extremes. Rather than choosing between good and evil, they taught that to so much as speak to someone who wasn't a believer could be enough to taint them for eternity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I love to read about it as well as other ancient religions and it amazes me the similarities they all have. Could it be that all religions came from one? But then which one was it?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I used to love to read Zoroastrian literature. It's been a very long time! :-) It's on a VERY long list of books I have that I need to re-read lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Why thank you NP :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• So sorry, anon, I reckon she done forgot her place as a heathen non-believer sort. We often forget we the unclean aren't even actually citizens of the US, and that while it's perfectly okay for believers to tell us we are misguided, stupid or downright of the devil, it's never, ever okay for us to even imply the idea of non-believing, much less offer any sort of historical fact to back it up. However, when so many christians equate a simple "I'm atheist" with someone actually making comments about crutches, fairy tales, imaginary friends, or the impact of paganism on christianity that so many of you deny outright with no thought to logic at all, it's a little hard to tell what's safe to say and what isn't. My opinion -- no matter how I make it known -- should have no affect at all on your beliefs, and if it does, it's on you. It's your faith being shaken, not mine.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• haha when i first read your question i thought it said "reached" not researched. i was really confused for a second haha.

i think it sounds like a very uplifting religion that focus on being a good person. cant say anything bad about that. there are several things on that site that i agree w/ & would love to quote, but i dont think i have the space.

thanks for bringing this religion up! did it start in the middle east too? i will definitely have to look more into this!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I have, and I think its fascinating. It goes along with my idea that religions are all from God and that they evolved from each other and so on - its believed that the three wise men were Zoroastrian priests, which is pretty cool.
    I could believe that Zoroastrianism had a huge influence on Judaism, and then on the following two Abrahamic faiths.
    Although, IMO, re-occurrence of themes/concepts throughout world religions further validates beliefs, rather than invalidates them...
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009