How old is too old for braces?

At what age would you feel uncomfortable or self conscious about just getting braces put on? I'm 19 and wondering if it's out of the question already. My teeth aren't bad, I just think they could be straighter. But I feel like I'm too old.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 7:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• if you have to take your teeth out at night to soak 'em - I'm thinking it's way past time for braces. other than that I'm thinking your good.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i thought adults could use those invisaline (sp?)
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 7:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If you can afford to pay go for it, most insurance plans that cover orthodontics will only cover children up to 18 and only if it medically necessary. I do have a lot of friends in their 40's who have done it and love the results.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I don't think you're ever too old to get braces. I've seen people various ages have them. If you think you're teeth could be straighter...go for it. I'm not one to care what other's think anyway. It's only a couple of years or less out of your life.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 7:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• HAHAHAHAHA---I had mine put on when I was 23. Self conscious? Maybe a little, but who cares? Once they came off ---- Gorgeous, perfect, pearly whites......So go for it girl !!!!
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my daughters pediatrician is in his late 40's and just had his taken off, and if he would do it, and see tons of patients and parents everyday, I would say 19 isn't too old at all, my mom also got hers at 19.
    MammaToBella

Answer by MammaToBella at 8:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You're never too old but most insurances only cover until 18 or 19 (I know ours only goes to 19 and only pays like $1500 total). I'm 32 and would love to get braces. My teeth are pretty bad but my parents never had dental coverage so we could never afford it when I was a kid.
    My uncle, his wife and both my cousins had braces at the same time. The girls were teens, my aunt was in her 40s and my uncle was in his 50s.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I am actually planning on getting braces as soon as I have enough money to. I will be 29 in a week.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 9:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My best friend is 30 with braces and looks 16...which is a compliment lol...i love it when she puts on her old college sweatshirt and a pony tail to complete the look...! In this day and age, looking younger is where its at...!
    HisMoni

Answer by HisMoni at 12:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm 23 and I have braces... I have the clear ceramic ones (not Invisalign). I'm SO glad I did it. Good luck!
    lovepink26

Answer by lovepink26 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2009