Pacifiers and bottles after one?

Does it drive anyone else nuts to see a baby clearly over the age of one sucking on a binki or a bottle? I hate it. my daughter just turned 1 two weeks ago and she has been off the bottle and it was not hard at all, she also weaned herself off of her binki at 8 months, so what is the big deal on parents not cracking down??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't have a problem with it. My kids nursed past one, so they also took a bottle at times. My oldest had a pacifier for much longer and we finally broke that habit at 3! Although he only had it at bedtime. I don't think an older baby should need those things to pacify then during the day (unless sick or something).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Mine is 19 months and she still uses a paci...what's the problem? She quit her bottle herself (I wasn't even planning on it until she was 1...and SHE quit at 10 months!). She doesn't walk around all day with the paci...I give it to her to calm her when she's crying about something or when she's tired. Why "crack down"? How about allowing our kids to be kids at their own pace? They're forced to be the same as every other kid (even though that's not possible) when they get to school, lets give them a little freedom until then. And why walk around judging other moms? Don't people have anything better to do?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Not really. It's not something I lose sleep over. My daughter turned one a couple of weeks ago, and she does bottles and sippy cups. She also takes a pacifier at night. If someone doesn't like it, then don't look.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Since when is 12 months the "cut off point" for bottles and pacifiers? So it's ok when the child is 11 months + 6 days old, but as soon as they turn 12 months old, things should magically change? Please.

And since when do we parent our children based on what other people think or say? I certainly don't. I respond to my daughter's cues.
    Anonymous

• I don't see why parents feel the need to rush their babies into growing up. It is a scientific fact that babies have a NEED to suck well after their 1st birthday. My son had his bottle till HE was READY to give it up and it wasn't till he was 2.5 and that is perfectly fine. I don't feel the need to do such a mean and meaningless thing to him since sippys are the SAME THING as bottles.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my daughter gave up the paci on her own at about 6 months and the bottle on her own at 10 months.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my girls all had bottles til 2, past 2 I think its a bit much.

pacifiers....drive me nuts at any age. (but thats just me - none of my girls liked them)

bugs the crap out of me to see a kid obviously over 2 - trying to eat or talk around one. just want to pop it out and toss it.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• the bottles don't bother me; see a kid old enough to walk still using a pacifier makes me crazy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I've learned to live and let live. It's none of my business what other people do with their kids.
    My 4 were all off the bottle by 13 months (at the latest because we had formula to use up) and only ever had formula in their bottles.
    As for the binkies. My 3 girls all took them. My oldest was 2 when she gave hers up since she lost her last one (she didn't have a choice). My middle daughter was 2 1/2 before I convinced her to give it up and it was with protest. My youngest was 22/23 months and she fought me tooth and nail but I was sick of the darn thing. She screamed for an hour every single night for 2 weeks because we wouldn't let her have it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i dont see anything wrong with a one year old with a bottle or paci. what is wrong is when its a 4 yr old.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009