Should I be doing more with my 5 week old?

I feel like I'm not doing enough to be a mommy. My husband went back to work this week, so I'm on my own for the first time since the baby was born. I feed him every 3-4 hours, change him, and occasionally if he's awake between feeding I will talk to him, sing to him, tell him a story. Should I be doing more?? I don't want him to be developmentally behind, but I feel like he spends more time in the swing, pack and play or basinette sleeping than I'm spending with him. Is this normal??? Stressed out 37 yr old first time mom here.... :)

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There just isn't a lot you can do with a newborn, unfortunately. My dd is 6 weeks old and she sleeps a lot, when she's not sleeping I do interact with her (talk/sing) but we both get bored with that after a while. From what I've read/heard just looking around at the world is plenty to keep a newborn engaged. I feel like I'm not making the most of my time with her sometimes too, but I think it's normal. I've started reading my little one books, but rarely get to the end before she wants to be fed, falls asleep, etc... I take her for walks too - that's a treat for both of us! Don't feel bad - you're doing great!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• dont worry you doing fine... make sure you do tummy time every day!!!!
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 7:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• There's only one mother who can always be the best for her child..And that is you. Your mother instinct will just come out naturally to do what is best for your baby.Do not worry you are doing a great job!
    jayzs

Answer by jayzs at 8:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• nope, you're doing everything you should be doing now. he'll be OK, don't worry.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• thats what i do to with my 6 week old. talk to him, sing to him, feed him, burp him.. give him a bath!! baths are fun. my son LOVES him bath, and then after his bath which i do everyday, i give him a "massage" with lotion. and sometimes when hes awake i move his legs and arms like hes excersising to strengthen his muscles. and i kiss him all over his face alot. and cuddle.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It sounds good to me, like someone else said, just be sure you're giving him tummy time every day.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009