My 10 month old is starting to do stuff that is "bad", is there really a way to teach him not to?

He is starting to be bad, not on purpose of course. Eating grass, pulling stuff down on himself, tantrums, pinching, smacking, and pulling hair. That's just a few. Pulling stuff down is easy to fix I know, but my sister's house isn't really baby proof so when I went to make my 3 yr old nephew his lunch my son decided to scoot over and pull the DVD holder thing over on his head. The other stuff though, how can I make him not have fits or hurt people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My ds started doing the same things at that age.....at home we would put him alone in his pack and play with no toys for a time out and a sturn talking to. Even though he didnt know what we were saying....after a while he started finguring out that when he hurt someone or threw a tantrum, he got taken away from his toys and people. try that.
    Anonymous

• you can't most babies do that cuz they are at that stage were they are learning and want to grab everything in sight, my 8 month old is in the grabbing everything stage, you just have to watch him and wait till he grows out of it,
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh boy, don't just watch him until he grows out of it. It is your responsibility to teach your child right from wrong, even at only 10 months. Time out or isolation is good. When he does something he's not supposed to warn him with a firm no and pull him away from the object, if he does it again put him in his crib for a couple minutes.

You could also try hand "tapping" when you firmly tap his hand (usually not enough to really hurt) and say "NO!" This way you're pointing directly to what he's using to get in trouble (in most cases) and he'll put the two together.

Yes he doesn't know that what he is doing is wrong, but you need to teach him. And he is capable of learning at 10 months. GL!
    Anonymous

• My 7 month old dd is like that too. Her favorite things to grab include hair and necklaces.
    Miss.Kristin

Answer by Miss.Kristin at 8:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My 10 month old DS likes to smack, bite, pull hair, and pull things down as well. I try to do a stern "no" and smack his hand, but he just laughs. So I just let him go about doing what he does b/c he doesn't know any better.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• he is 10 months old he will grab and pull and don't understand at that age now they grow out of it around 12 months then you can start teaching them but they still don't understand, and taking there toys oway come on from a 10 month old you need to give them toys so they can play with them but whatever everyone has there way
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Anon's answer is pretty good, but there is a catch at that... At that age, when they are still learning to control their arms and movements it is hard to tell when they are truly scratching, pinching, etc., and when they are trying to hold something or get closer to something... If you know that he is truly trying to hurt people, then try the isolation thing or even the hand pat or butt tap (not a hard spank! just something to associate "bad" with), but I think 10 months is way too young for even a light spank too often.. If you find yourself having to discipline him every five seconds, then a spank won't work - he will just get used to it and not view it as "bad" anymore..

Good luck! remember, 10 months is old enough to learn lessons, but not old enough to control a lot of their movements, so sometimes they do things they don't mean to because they are still learning how to move. If you know it was on purpose, then act.
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 8:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We take whatever our son shouldn't have from him, tell him no and move him to something he is allowed to play with. We just keep doing it and keeping an eye on his moves. He's quick though!!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 8:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Like the above poster said, we first say no, and then take him away from it. Sometimes he'll listen and go do something else, other times he'll look at me and just give me a great big smile and keep doing it! LOL. If i take him away from it, he doesn't usually go back for awhile.
    Anonymous

• Your not alone so dont feel bad lol. my 9.5mo old son does the same stuff & as aggravating/concerning it may seem it will most likely pass b/c they are just learning "boundaries" & "reactions"....good luck!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2009