do epidurals hurt?

I've heard from so many woman that the nurses can not do it right and they have to wait for the doctor to do it and sometimes they take forever to even give it to you. I have had a few bad experiences where nurses can not even draw my blood and yet they kept sticking me in the same arm and same place and wiggling the needle around in my arm.

chevygal86

Asked by chevygal86 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• a certified nurse anesthesiologist or a board certified anesthesiologist only should do it who either way has experience of epidurals behind them. I've had three. They're scary cause you think it hurts but really the idea hurts more than the real thing. There can stinging early on but it goes away and when you lay down after done you can't feel the needle in your back meaning your not laying on a needle that could break cuz you're laying down.

Do long slow breaths out just before and during it, a bit after and you'll be find. You can even have a headset on with relaxing songs while its being done. You'll be ok mom.
    Anonymous

• Nurses shouldn't be doing it at all. The anesthesiologist (spelling?) does it. They have special training for it.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• firts of all a nurse don't do it they have a special person who does it I forgot what they are called and second of all it hurts like hell at least it did me both times and both times I cryed from the pain, sometimes it hurts in the spots were they put it in from both of my boys.
    It really helps with the pain you don't feel a thing
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Here were i live, nurses or doctors dont do the epidurals an anistesiologist does, and it does hurt a little. in the end, i thought it freacked me out more than hurt, but it is a very weird feeling, GL
    Anonymous

• My epidural was THE worst part hands down of my 25 hours of labor. I am good with pain and I yelled when the epidural needle went in even though I had already been "numbed up". I quickly oppologized for my lack of control which the nurse just waived off and said it was no problem at all but I am terrified of ever having another one and I still have some trouble from it today (it was a yr. ago as of july 4th). They also had to do mine three times before they got it in the right spot.
    However I have several friends who said that theirs didn't hurt one bit... not even a little bit.
    I guess it all depends on the person. I also had a bad reaction to it. I itched from head to toe with no relief until I finally asked them to take it out a day and half later (emergency c-section).
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think it depends on the person giving it to you and how much pain you can tolerate. When i had mine i felt just a little push and that's only because my anesthesiologist was having trouble getting the catheter in.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Nurses don't give epidurals, an obstetrician or an anaesthetist gives it. Mine hurt, and I had to have two placed, and they thought I was going to have a third one done. For me this was the worst part of the entire process. I am overweight and I have heard from my friends that are petit and thin that it didn't hurt at all. I think it depends on how well they can see your spinal column.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 8:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Mine I felt a little pressure...but it wasnt painful! Mine, I had to get done twice, becuz he didnt get it in the right spot the first time...he had it taped up and everything already and had to take it out , and the second one, i didnt even feel the pressure...it really isnt all that bad...but to me, the epi, really didnt help...after my water broke i felt every bit of the pain anyways!
    HayHayMarie2009

Answer by HayHayMarie2009 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• An anesthesiologists should definitely be doing it...not the nurse. I had a great one. He applied a general anesthetic or something to numb me first. I could not feel it at all. It was far from a terrible experience. The only thing is that it wore off a bit & he came back in a timely manner to give me a dose of another drug. I don't remember what it was. And it didn't make my baby come out all drugged out. He was bright eyed & quite lively.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Mine didn't hurt either time. I've had two kids. I waited the 1st time, I got it much sooner the 2nd time. I feel like it sppeds up the process. Totally worth it. It's up to you though.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 8:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2009