At what age can an infant sleep on its tummy?

My 4 1/2 month old daughter began to roll on her tummy on sleep on it. (She's been rolling for a while now, but never slept on her tummy before) I feel like she is too young. (for safety reasons) Is this okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she can roll herself back over and lift her head up its ok. My son started doing the same thing at that age. It made me so nervous that I kept going in to check if he was breathing.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 8:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It's fine as long as she's not tummy sleeping on a crib mattress that isn't covered with like a BabeSafe cover. That's where the SIDS risk comes from. Their faces are directly on the mattress breathing in the flame retardants and other deadly chemicals.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Most doctors, at least mine, says that if they want to sleep on their tummy, they will get there. So any amount of trying to prevent it will just make them crabby and angry. If she wants to sleep on her tummy, and gets herself there, don't worry about it!

My doctor said to still put my son in the crib on his back and then if he rolled on to his tummy, fine. But if not, then at least he would be on his back.
    vdecker

Answer by vdecker at 8:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• my middle and youngest were tummy sleepers from birth.

if she's doing it on her own and you keep rolling her thenjust let her be.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My husband and I both came to realize our 3 week old son will only sleep well if he's on his stomach. It of course worried me at first, but seriously, he is very strong and already moves his head up and side to side on his own. I'm always checking him and he sleeps very soundly on his belly, only.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My DD had me so worried when she started sleeping on her belly. She's 8 months now and i still check on her everytime i get up in the night, but she refuses to sleep on her back. I just back sure she doesnt have her mouth against the bumpers and if i feel she's too close to them, i'll scoot her a few inches away. But for some reason, she likes things against her mouth when she sleeps. She'll suck on the sleeve of her pjs and when she was smaller, she sucked/licked the side of her swing and carseat. I have a silly girl.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• When my 4.5 month old is sleeping in her crib, she sleeps on her side on a positioner. Nap time, when she is on the floor playing, she puts her thumb in her mouth and rolls over onto her tummy and will sleep the whole nap that way. She has been rolling for awhile too and I guess if they have enough strength to roll and hold their head up, then I think they are fine.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• When she can roll both ways on her own it's fine
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My DD started rolling herself from back to stomach at around 3.5 mos. We kept trying to go in and put her on her back but she'd just roll right back on her stomach. Now at 4 mos. I just let her. She gets angry if I try putting her on her back and since she is very strong and can roll around, I just let her. We looked up a bunch of articles online and they all say that once a baby can roll both ways, the risk of SIDS goes way down. I figure she's strong enough to move her head and not suffocate by now. There's not a lot we can do anyway, since she just rolls right back to her stomach.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2009