plugged milk ducts

I woke up this morning with a breast hard as a rock and very sore. I've been feeding or pumping every 1 1/2-2 hours, massaging and applying heat. Is there anything else I can do? How long will this last?

hipmom8523

Asked by hipmom8523 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can be sore for a day or two. Try showering with as hot water as you can stand and express milk while your breast is under the hot water. You can run your fingers from the outside toward the nipple to try to open it.

Another tip, much more painful in my opinion, change your baby's orientation of nursing (can be quite awkward) so that this duck is being sucked. I remember laying my baby on my bed while I was on all four over him... the football hold might help and not be as weird.

Good luck

sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 8:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• also sounds like mastitis i had. is your breast swollen? i'd get an exam by a breast doctor or ob. if it's mastitis though you'd probably have a fever, I did. Keep aplying that heat!! either way plugged or mastitis my pediatrican told me to keep nursing and to nurse on my antibiotics a while before each dose not right after. Get an exam defnitiely if you have a fever!!!
    Anonymous

• I had a HORRIBLE plugged milk duct and I got it unplugged by turning my breast pump on high while I had a heating pad on the hard spot. It was gross because I felt it sort of pop and a huge squirt of fatty milk came out. Sorry to be so graphic but that is how i did it. I think that i had the pump turned on for about 15 minutes before it came out.
    Anonymous

• When I had a plugged duct and nothing else worked, I did the "dangle nursing" that the first poster suggested. I put my baby on the bed and dangled my breast into his mouth and the gravity helped draw out the plug.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009