Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are there such things as free lawyers??

My Husbands daughter is 7 years old, she lives with her mom. She was coming to our house every weekend. Now she doesnt want to come over anymore. No matter what her mother says for her to come to our house she won't budge. She absolutely does not want to come to our house! Her mother told me that if he signs all rights off then she will not make him pay child support anymore. I told my husband all of this and he said well she doesnt come to our house anymore anyways..its only logical. All we have to do is call a lawyer..we don't have the money for a lawyer....are there a such thing as free lawyers?? And does anyone else have any advice???
Thanks for your time!!

Answer Question

Asked by pinkfairy7681 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • either your state's or county legal aid society could be free or low cost. some times lawyers will give a free consult over the phone for like 10 minutes or so. I'd also just google lawyers in your area lots of their websites have tons of info on them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • they are called public defenders. go to your local court house and ask the clerk, the public defenders office should be at the court house.

    Answer by HelloKitty86 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

  • Is your husband not interested in having a relationship with is daughter? Did his daughter tell him she won't come to the house, or is it the mother saying that? I would try to get to the bottom of things before I just sign over parental rights. My husband has 2 kids that are almost grown, and he never had a relationship with them because their mother is very manipulative and would tell them bad things about their father. Now, the oldest is 19 and the youngest 15, and he is just now in the last year starting to talk a lot to the oldest, and finding out what the mother had been saying. It's a long story, but to cut it short, i would talk to your husband and find out if he really doesn't want the realtionship, and find out what the daughter wants. She is only 7, so I would say she is not really old enough to just sign off her dad, without thinking about the consequences it might give her later in life, and that she might (cont.)

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • (cont.) want to have a realtionship with her dad when she gets older.
    Anyway, just thought I would share that with you, before you make a decision to cut the rights. Now if you really want to end his parental rights, then there are lawyers that do free work. I am not sure what they are called. What the above posts say, sounds right.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

  • free legal advice....

    Answer by ZachsMom325 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.