Any tips on getting my daughter to sleep through the night?

She is 4 1/2 months old. She still wakes up around 3 & 6 am for feedings. Does anyone have any tips on how to get her to sleep through the night?

mommy2joeynabby

Asked by mommy2joeynabby at 8:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. She's a very young baby. She still needs her nightly feedings. It's not a problem to be fixed. And "sleeping through the night" in baby terms is really only 5 or 6 hours.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• It is actually not normal for a baby to sleep all night. They need to wake at least a few times a night because their tummies are so little and they get hungry. My 18 month old still wakes many times a night. My almost 8 year old usually wakes up at least once a night and I always did before I had kids too.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• That is sleeping well. Be grateful. She's still young, needs to eat/drink... at least it's not every 2-3 hours. She's fine, be patient.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• try keeping her up a little later in the evening and a bath to relax her and then a good feeding before she goes down may help her sleep longer. I was in the same boat with my first child and called my mom and this is what she suggested. 3 kids later it has worked for all of them. good luck and hopefully sweet dreams!
    lilgirlsmomma

Answer by lilgirlsmomma at 10:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My daughter is 4 mos. and we just talked to our doc. about this. He said to feed her every 4 hrs. during the day at least 4-6 oz. If we do that, she should be able to go a good 8 hrs. at night without eating. She's still up at least twice. She goes down at 7 or 8, is up around 10 or 11 for a feed then at 1am and then usually wakes up around 6. it works for us b/c we both have to work and she needs to be up then anyway, but on weekends, we can usually pat her and she goes right back to sleep. I've tried keeping her up later, but that def. doesn't work. She gets way too tired. Her waking is pretty good though, mine was waking up every 3 hrs. up until this past week. That's great.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2009