What's a good way to get a head start on our move? PIOG

I am a little overwhelmed for our first move as a family (I've only just moved myself) and since hubby can't take any time off from work, I will be doing most of the packing. We have a few weeks to go and I have to do most of it a little at a time (taking care of my 2 year old) so I really need to get a head start now. It seems like when I feel I make a little progress my son finds more toys to drag out. So, what's a good way to move a family? Pack as much of each room as you can and just leave out what you need? I've already started packing my son's toys and I think I'll leave fewer out each week for him so there aren't so many at the end. Any tips on a good way to pack efficiently or get organized will help! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have moved WAY to many times in the past 7 years lol (hubs is military). Start with things you don't use, or plan to use in the next month (that way if they don't get unpacked for a couple weeks it won't matter either). Leave out a weeks worth of clothes for everyone, and pack up everything else. Leave out only essential kitchenware. Designate a spot in the house to put things you have packed up and broke down. As far as toys, leave the big stuff (that won't go in boxes) in his room. Leave one box of his favorite toys in his room. Pack up the rest, and tape the box shut. Take everything off the walls, pictures, curtains, put up nick nacks. When it's time to move, you should only have your weeks worth of clothes, your kitchen essentials, and bathroom essentials left to pack up. If you pick something up and wonder if you will use it, put it in a box and don't tape it shut!
    usafwife314

Answer by usafwife314 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Sorry this is so long....

I don't know how many times I've had to dig through a box because I packed something I didn't need to. Don't pack your cleaning stuff!!! Oh and make sure you leave a roll of toilet paper, and take a roll with you LOL.

As for your son, set aside a few minutes her and there to play with him. Direct him towards something new so he doesn't get bored. Let him help also! They love helping out at that age anyway they can!
    usafwife314

Answer by usafwife314 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I do exactly what usawife said. It is very effective and in the end you don't have much to do.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Pu a box near your front door for things that you may no longer want. Really think as you are packing things if you actually want to move this object. I would pare down now while you have a few weeks to do your packing. Put anything you don't want into the box near the front door. When it is full take it to the goodwill or list the entire box on freecycle, you don't have to list the things individually. You can just put a posting for random stuff, take all and freecycle the rest and list a few things in the box so people have a general idea of what they are getting.
    The less things you bring the less things you have to unpack.
    Good Luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Thanks ladies! This advice is wonderful, and I don't feel so stressed! If anyone wants to add more, please do! I appreciate it.
    Anonymous

• pack up things you don't use first... like anything in the garage or basement or attic.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 10:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2009